Chapter 38

"Chica!" you shouted across the open space, the pups head popped up over the long grass as soon as the sound waves had travelled over to her delicate ears. She bounded over to you, her tail flowing in the wind, as soon as she was by your feet she rubbed her head against your legs and waited patiently for you to stroke it.

Mark stood in place, completely shocked at what had just happened, he bent down to face Chica, "If you're going to start choosing favourites, it better be me" he said, pointing his index finger at her wet nose, standing up straight again he chuckled "Don't you two start plotting to kill me in my sleep or something".

Chica stayed by your side the entire walk to Mark's 'secret place', after walking through a cluster of low hanging trees for about five minutes there was finally an opening. The field had returned and presented a picturesque scene of nature, one that you had only dreamed of seeing with your own eyes.

Little purple and red flowers were spread across the entire ground, entwining itself into the greenery. It opened up to some snow covered mountain which overlooked a small glassy lake that reflected the semi-circle of trees that surrounded you.

You stood, open mouthed, at the sight before you "It's beautiful" was all you could say, "Sure is" Mark agreed with you, you glanced over in his direction, about to ask him how he found this place but saw that he was already looking at you. Did he mean me? You asked yourself, breaking out into a blush.

"Over here looks like a good spot" Mark said, pointing to a place next to the water that looked like the grass had been shaved to a comfortable length. He walked off in front of you and placed his backpack down on the grass, you joined him in the strange circle that he had chosen.

"So what exactly are we doing here?" you asked him, you managed to sit down cross-legged on the fresh grass, your leg was really starting to improve. Mark reached into his backpack and pulled out a large blanket, the corners of it getting caught up in the zip - he waved it in the air so it spread itself out, him not yet sitting on the floor, and placed the fabric on the ground.

Mark said nothing but just grinned at you, picking you up from under the arms and casually placing you on the blanket like a cat that had just jumped on the sofa. Once you were all settled, he produced some plastic boxes from his backpack which was now seeming more like Hermione's purse. "Tuna or Peanut-butter and jelly?" he asked you, balancing the two biggest boxes in his hands. You chose your favourite of the two and he had the other.

"So this is what you were doing this morning?" you smirked at him. He looked at you as though he hadn't heard what you said, and with a mouth full of sandwich. He swallowed the large chunk of bread and nodded, "Uhuh, I wanted it to be a surprise". You smiled to yourself at his childish nature, you opened your mouth to ask him why he was doing this for you but he must have preempted your question and put his hand over yours. The sudden contact made you close your mouth and look down at his large tanned hand covering your own on the red plaid blanket, butterflies batted their wings inside your stomach.

"Look" Mark said, putting his sandwich down inside its box "I know things have been a bit.." he paused for a second, trying to think of the best word for the situation, his eyebrows moved up quickly and back down again signalling that he had found the right word "Things have been a bit backwards for us so-" you cut him off, laughing at his word choice "Backwards? What do you mean backwards?" you chuckled. "I mean, the way we met was a bit fast. I have quite a history of acting first and talking later" he admitted to you, he sounded like he was slightly disgusted with himself, you quickly rubbed the side of his hand with your thumb to reassure him that his actions weren't that uncommon, you couldn't say much considering the whole reason you were now friends with Jack was because of acting before talking.

He looked at you with a slight smile on his face "You're different, so I want to do things differently", at this point, a huge grin was sneaking up on you - Mark was so cute when he was tripping over his words, mainly because it rarely happened. "I want to do things right with you, so this was me taking you on a date" he squeezed your hand. You couldn't help but beam from ear to ear, no one had ever been this nice to you, "Would it be okay if we started again?" he asked you, looking at you with his puppy dog eyes.

Everything in this moment was perfect, the birds were singing in the beautiful green trees, a few ducks were paddling their way from one end of the lake to the other. To top it all off, Mark looked perfect too, the sun was reflecting off of his golden orbs. You could see how much he adored you. You realised that you hadn't said anything for a long time, Mark was desperately waiting for your answer. Your heart started to race and your body took over, you put your hand behind his head and pulled him into a passionate kiss. 

So much for talking instead of acting.

I just want to say a big thank you to OddMini for supporting me on Patreon, it really means a lot to me and I am very grateful <3