36 - Commitment

'Yes, I received the request from the mayor.' said the woman at the guild desk in the town hall. Judging from the mementos on her desk of a gilded dagger and the skull of a predator the size of a wolf or large cat, but with an elongated muzzle full of sharp teeth, Ulric suspected she was a veteran herself at an age around forty..

Iphigenia handed her the party's guild card and looked around. 'Not much guild business here.'

The woman nodded. 'This is a very quiet corner and there's not much to do for adventurers.' She placed the card in a slot of the wooden box that adjusts the card's numbers, and pressed several iron buttons. 'Some requests are taken by adventurers passing by, and sometimes I take them up myself when no one's available. The mayor already discussed with me the option of creating a request to solve the case with the harpies before, and having you resolve it during your own errand was good timing.' She took the card out and inspected it, then returned it to Iphigenia.

'Ohh, nice.' said Iphigenia. 'A rank up and our total increased by a good amount.' She handed the card to Elzbieta.

'Seeing what the consequences might have been if the harpies had attacked the town, it's well deserved.' the woman said and smiled. 'We're grateful for your work. All we have left is finding the one who paid off Brun but I doubt we'll ever see that guy around here.'

'We were just at the right spot at the right time.' said Iphigenia and stroked Ulric's neck. 'Who knows, maybe we'll run into him on our travels.'

The woman looked at Ulric and Susi sitting next to him, and leaned a little closer. 'The mayor warned me, but are you really bloodwolves?'

Ulric chuckled. 'I have my own circumstances, but we both are.'

The woman chuckled. 'I just couldn't imagine a demonic beast to be so friendly. Until now.'

Iphigenia smiled at Ulric. 'I know of no one as lovable as them.'

Nina greeted them cheerfully when the party arrived at the inn. 'Congratulations! The news about capturing Brun and his crew and making peace with the harpies spread fast.' She knelt down and stroked Susi's head. 'You must tell me all about it.' She frowned at Ulric. 'And explain why you pretended to be a fluffy pet and made me look silly.'

Iphigenia laughed. 'We will during a good meal and drink.' said Iphigenia.

Nina hopped up straight. 'Sit down, meals and drinks coming up!' she said and went into the kitchen.

Soon after Iphigenia began with the help of Elzbieta, other patrons began listening in and the events were the topic of every conversation. Nina sat later with them again while petting Susi and Trixy.. Kaui grabbed into her satchel and pulled out a roll of cloth. 'Nina, you mentioned that legendary treasure and country on top of the mountains.'

She looked up from petting Susi. 'Yes? I know it's just a fantasy but it would be nice to think something like that really existed.'

Kaui slid the cloth towards her. 'If you ask the harpies, they don't know of anything like that, but Master found something and thought it would make a nice gift for you.'

A little puzzled, Nina unfolded the cloth and unveiled a fine silver necklace with a silver bird sequin. She lifted it and watched it sparkle in the candlelight. 'This, is for me?'

'You can think of it as coming from that legendary treasure, and Master's apology.'

Nina smiled wide. 'Since no one will believe it, I'll say it is. I don't know how to thank you!'

'No need. You lighten the mood when we first came in here and saved us trouble.' said Ulric.

'Bring us another round of drinks and give the one who saw it a big hug.' giggled Iphigenia.