69 - Many Hands Make Heavy War

Iphigenia held her sword with both hands. 'Ready to try the trick Valdys taught us, Elz? We should have more than enough magic ability now.'

Elzbieta took her sword in both hands. 'If only we had time to test and train before using it in a fight.'

The two girls concentrated on the spell and their hands, and after a few moments, they slowly pulled their hands apart and held identical swords in each one.

'Well done.' said Valdys with some pride. 'I knew this spell would work for both of you.'

Iphigenia and Elzbieta looked at each other. 'Let's see how fast we can scare the rest away.' said Iphigenia, and they ran to join Ulric and Caylais in battle.

Ulric gazed in surprise at his girls wielding two swords as they clashed with the first startled swamp warriors. 'How did you get those?'

'With a little magic, Wolfie.' chuckled Iphigenia as she sliced a wooden shield in pieces in just an instant.

'Just putting the advantages of the bond with you to good use, darling.' said Elzbieta as she slammed a head between the flats of her two blades.

Several Bognam rushed towards him in a state of shock and violent blindness. 'I'll have to see if there's any trick I can learn.' he said, and ran towards his unfortunate opponents.

***

Naczary stared at the carnage done by the enemy. Not ever before in the history of his people had there been a time when they knew defeat in their own territory. He knew his name would be cursed for all time from now on if the tide wasn't turned, and stomped towards Tarrence in anger. 'Attack them! Don't wait for my men to be killed!'

Tarrence slowed him down with his icy gaze. 'Don't tell me what to do. My forces are already on their way.'

Naczary stopped to see the army of demons move in from both sides of the ruin to catch the bloodwolf party in a pincer attack, and grinned in satisfaction when the four were cornered so that the feline could not use her attack again without knocking out her comrades. His glee vanished when a harpy took to the sky and dropped jars that exploded amidst the warriors.

Arrows and bolts fired at her were swept away with a sweep of her wings, and the demons dispersed in a panic to avoid the death from above.

Naczary gazed in shock again at the cool expression of the canine next to him. 'Aren't you worried?'

'We still have the advantage in numbers.'

New shouting erupted when a few stone golems appeared from the fort, three times the size of an average orc. Without hesitation, they swung their fists and kicked at any demon within reach.

Tarrence frowned. He had anticipated strong resistance and drummed up more armed men than he should have needed, but this sudden show of force was totally beyond his expectation. He wondered if that party had been holding back all this time up to now, but then he couldn't explain why they didn't use more force with the pirates or at the canyon maze. He gave Gigacks a nod.

***

'Great job, Conchi and Isa.' said Ulric over the link. 'They won't dare to fight in groups now.'

Conchim took a dive and dropped one more grenade jar between one of the last tightly packed groups of demons. 'Good thing, because I used the last of Kaui's grenades. Isa, you'll have to take on the group at your right.'

Isazea saw the group of demons from her position on top of the fort's wall and ordered one golem to attack them. 'Sending a golem right now.'