24 - Failure

Ulric coughed up some water while he held on to the pathway's edge. 'I'm all right.' he said through the link. 'Just a little jumbled from the pressure of the explosion in the water.'

Valdys and Kaui followed Iphigenia and Elzbieta through the water after quickly undressing, used the grate to get back onto the side, dress again, and hurried to the junction. 'Master!' called out Kaui. 'We're coming!'

The two helped the others get out of the water and Iphigenia and Elzbieta pulled out dry clothes from their packs while Kaui pulled out a towel and dried Ulric. 'Thank you.' he said as she rubbed his back and he smiled at Iphigenia and Elzbieta while they undressed.

Elzbieta noticed him watching and covered her front with her towel. 'Don't look!' she said while blushing hard.

Iphigenia chuckled. 'What? As if he hasn't seen every intimate detail of you already.'

Elzbieta looked away. 'I know, but it's still embarrassing to do it when there are others around.'

Iphigenia looked at Valdys, who looked discreetly away. 'Ohh, right.' she said and grinned at Ulric. 'It's no problem if she's a member of our party then.'

Ulric chuckled once and shook his head. 'I'm not going to make every woman we meet into my familiar.'

Iphigenia stuck her tongue out playfully and took her time drying and dressing for him while Kaui blushed as she dried his front. 'Ehm, Master?'

He looked at Kaui glancing up at him. 'What is it, my dear?'

She quickly licked her lips. 'Do you want me to dry you, or to please you first?'

He looked down at his erection and coughed. 'No! Eh, just dry quickly!' he said, glad that Valdys stood with her back towards his back. 'We can't do that in front of others!'

'Yes, Master.'Kaui said and rubbed his nether region quick but gentle while feeling relieved, but also a little disappointed. She blushed more when she realised the thought of him making her please him in front of others caused a pleasant shiver through her body.

'Which direction now?' she asked of Valdys when everyone was dry and ready.

Her skeleton friends pointed with their noses into one of the passages. 'That way. We're going up again.'

***

Several stairwells, winding passages, and silently sneaking through tunnels to avoid more guards, the party crossed a pathway spanning three towers. Elzbieta noticed Valdys looking around when they rounded the second tower. 'Guards?'

Valdys stopped. 'I'm not sure.' she said and closed her eyes. 'I sense a presence but my friends haven't seen any up ahead.'

Ulric sniffed the air. 'I'll have a look then while you wait here.' he said. 'Maybe the critters can't recognise a possible threat.'

'I'll go with you.' said Valdys when she understood why Ulric moved towards the next tower while the rest stayed put. 'I might detect something.'

He gave her a nod when Kaui said Valdys would follow and she hurried to his side.

She gasped and stopped at once, then turned to the side. 'It's there!'

From out of the haze a giant statue of a bulky barbaric warrior appeared with a raised club. Ulric had no doubt on what it planned to do and grabbed Valdys by the sleeve of her cloak. 'Get away!' he shouted to the others and ran towards the third tower.

He'd barely pulled Valdys with him when the club struck the pathway and broke it in two behind them.

The two halves sagged under their weight and Ulric pulled Valdys onto his back. 'Hang on!' he growled while her squirrel friend gripped his tail.