20 - Escape

Loud knocking on their door and Monna bursting in woke the gang up at once. They stared at her with wide eyes while she grabbed their clothes into her arms. 'Quick! Come with me! Take everything you have!'

They understood there was something urgent and gathered their belongings while Kaui asked what was going on.

'You're in big trouble!' Monna said while she led them back to the inn. 'I just received a warning that the guard is coming to arrest you lot, or at least Ulric. You have to hide right now.'

'Me!? Why!?' asked Ulric.

Monna opened the trap door to the cellar. 'Seems they found the Shadow Wolves murdered in an alley a short while ago and someone had seen you coming from it with blood on your paws.'

Ulric froze at the memory. 'I did have a run in with them and wounded that bulldog when I grabbed his throat but I never killed them!'

Monna pushed him towards the stairs when Kaui translated what he said. 'I don't believe you did it, which is why I woke you all up, but the guard isn't known to trust strangers and you won't stand a chance of proving your innocence unless someone saw it all happen.'

Rattling of the handle and urgent knocking came from the front door while Ulric went down into the cellar and the others followed. 'Keep absolutely silent.' Monna said and closed the trap door behind them. She went over to the front door and opened it after ruffling her hair and putting on a frown.

The captain of the guard knew her well enough not to make her angry but catching the black canine and his group was their highest priority. 'Sorry, Monna, but we've come to take your guests.. That foreign canine has murdered the Shadow Wolves.'

'Then you've come too late.' she growled. 'I just found out they left their cabin with everything without paying what they owe me!'

'You're kidding!?'

She stepped back and gestured towards the back of the inn. 'Check for yourself, all their stuff is gone!'

The captain gestured with his head for two of his men to take a look. 'Any idea where they might have gone to?'

'I have no idea! I never heard of any plan that guy and his women had to go somewhere!' Monna said. 'And they fooled me into thinking they were such good people!'

'Ulric and Kaui and the others?' asked a kid walking up to them.

The captain turned to the boy. 'Yes, have you seen them?'

He pointed back. 'I saw them outside the town heading for the forest.'

The two who were sent inside came back. 'Nothing indeed. They're gone.'

The captain turned to Monna. 'Don't worry, we'll catch them.' he said, then turned to his men. 'Let's go!'

Monna and the boy watched them run away in pursuit, and she stroked the boy's head. 'Come back later and I'll give you one of my famous sweet buns. And don't forget this is our secret.'

The boy smiled up at her and wagged his tail hard. 'Okay!' I hope they'll be safe.' he said and hurried away.

Monna returned inside after locking the door and let the gang out of the cellar. 'We've sent the guard into the forest, that'll keep them busy for some time.'

'Thank you.' said Kaui. 'You really saved us.'

''Not yet. First you need to get away unseen and to somewhere least expected.' Monna said and a devious smile appeared on her face as she looked at Ulric. 'Not to mention, dressed. Although I don't mind this sight.'