Part 1

~~Logan~~

Beep Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep be-

What a racket. At least it wakes me up though. I look around my bedroom, the dark blue walls, the white wardrobe, the rather large chest of drawers, the bedside table and the door to the side bathroom. I finally lay my eyes on the piles of papers scattered across my bed from working last night. Ugh.. I must have fallen asleep in the middle of my work again, well at least I'm in bed and not at my desk like yesterday night, and the day before actually.... and before that.. I should get up now anyway no use dwelling on yesterday's problems.

I get out of bed and into the bathroom connected to my bedroom. I have a quick shower and brush my hair so it falls to one side. I like having a hairstyle that requires little maintenance. I look into the mirror at my own reflection... I look awful. My skin is much paler then usual and there are dark bags under my eyes. I guess I might have been slacking on my self health lately but that's only because I have to work so much and spend most of my time at the office. Maybe paying a bit more attention and allowing myself more time devoted to self care mightn't hurt...

I make my way into the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee. I look up at the clock and I'm glad to have plenty of time left to get to work. Then it hits me.... my car is still in the shop... I'll have to walk, I look up at the clock again 7:15 Crap, I need to Run!

I grab my papers, my phone, a granola bar and I transfer my coffee from a mug to a flask and start running. I can maybe make it on time if I run all the way. I stop suddenly in my tracks and read the sign by the barricades blocking my way 'ROADWORKS ROAD CLOSED'. Not having time to react I spin around 180 degrees and bolt in the other direction.

I choose a path that takes me past an elementary school. I see the children laughing and playing games outside it. They seemed so effortlessly happy. I wonder what it's like... Being happy without having to force it at all, Wait, what am I thinking? I'm very happy where I am. I'm the manager of a major office and make a good amount of money for me to live more then comfortably. I don't know what I was thinking... life is good for me.

"Whew, at the office and with three minutes to spare". I fall into my chair and start working. I hear a knocking at my door, "Come in". My assistant Virgil walks in. "Mr Oakwood there was a computer issue and now we've lost over three days of work and now we're very far behind schedule."

Guess it's overtime again, I can't help but feel drained and exhausted. It seems like I live at the office at this point. Am I happy here? I decide to put off that thought for now and focus on Virgil again. I look up to tell Virgil that I'll stay late when I realize he noticed see how broken and tired I look. After a moment of silence he breaks it by saying "You know what sir I think we can take care of it." "W-What?" I stutter. "You go home and take the day off and maybe get some rest. We've got this." He says with a smile. I realize at this point that there is no point in trying to argue because he had made up his mind. "Thank you Virgil" I say while grabbing my coat. I make my way out of the building and look forward to going home and enjoying the rest of my day.