34: A Foretold Death

"Awsten?" I turn to him. The drive had been silent only for five minutes and it was driving me crazy. He hums and glances at me. "How are you holding up?" I ask softly. 

He takes a deep breath and taps his finger against the steering wheel. "Tony was my friend. No, we weren't that close, and no, we never worked on a case together, but he was a good person, and you don't see a lot of that in our area of work." He clears his throat and stops at the red light. "I've only met a few truly, honest to god, good people in the agency," he says. "One of them being your boyfriend," he smiles at me. 

I smile and stare out the window. "Is another one your boyfriend?" I ask, turning to him again. He laughs and speeds the car up. 

"Who says he's my boyfriend?" He sighs. "And, who are you even talking about?" He raises an eyebrow. 

"Andy," I grin at him. "I see the looks and the little touches that you think no one sees. I'm a freaking hawk, I see all."

He rolls his eyes and stops at the safe house. "We're here. Are you ready to... Not kill Remington?" He asks, nudging my side. 

I groan. "Not my proudest moment, okay?" I sigh and get out the door. He laughs and walks over to the guards showing his badge. The guard glances at me and nods. 

We walk in and I spot Remington talking to Emerson. Remington looks up and Emerson turns. "You made it," Remington says softly. Emerson stands up and helps Remington up. 

"You're limping," Awsten says, walking forward. "What happened?" 

"I need to speak to Kellin, and only Kellin," Remington says. "May I?" He turns and opens a door. I nod and glance at Awsten, giving him a reassuring look. 

We walk into a private room and he sits down. "Kellin, I wanted to tell you... I'm sorry. I never meant for this to happen. But what I'm about to tell you is going to change everything." I take a deep breath. "Your fath- uh, Jeuse, is dying." 

My breath hitches. "What? What are you talking about? How is he dying?"

"He never said why, but he has some illness, and it's killing him. He has two years at most, maybe you don't care, but this is why. Whatever he has, he needs you to fix it, someone about family blood or something."

I cross my arms. "So what? I'm going to kill him anyway. This just makes it fun. It means I have a timer and I get to make sure he's dead before two years." 

Remington shakes his head. "You don't get it. He's willing to kill for this thing. You can end all of this if you just give it to him. I can find out what he wants and-"

"Are you dumb?" I scoff. "I'm not giving that bastard a thing. I want him dead, not to save his life," I roll my eyes. "No."

"But... No one will have to die, and-"

"Shut up," I snap. "I'm not going to save him. I'd rather die," I pound my fist against the table between us. "I have watched as people around me get hurt countless times. I'm not helping that bastard. If he wants anything from me, he's going to have to kill me for it." 

"He'll kill everyone until he gets to you. You can get out of this. You don't have to keep dying for this. Just... Think about it." 

"You don't understand. I could kill you right now and no one would blink a fucking eye, do you get that?" I say lowly. 

"I know more people than you think."

"I could throw you in a cell right now. Nothing is stopping me," I stand up and turn away from him. "Don't be surprised if one day, you walk out the front door with cuffs," I mutter and walk out.