31: The Reaper Strikes

The second Jack and Awsten walk out, I stand up. Vic stares at the two of them. "We'll be in touch," Awsten says. "Mr. Quinn, may I speak to you?" He asks. I nod and walk over to him. 

He shuts the door behind him and lets out a soft laugh. "So, this is weird. But we gotta make it look legit so," he shrugs and sits on the bed. I laugh and sit on a chair. 

"Austin Night, huh?" I tease. He smiles. 

"Don't you fucking love it?" He gives me a toothy grin. "It's so original and creative!" 

I roll my eyes. The humor drains from my voice when I think about Alex again. My brain comes up with a terrible sight of him, covered in his own blood, tied up, alone. "You have to find Alex. He's- he's one of my best friends, and I can't lose him," I speak softly. 

He nods. "But... You know who's most likely behind this, right?" 

I purse my lips. "I'm trying not to think about that right now," I mumble. He nods understandingly and pulls me into a hug. 

"I'm going to try my best, alright?" He asks, giving me a squeeze. "I promise you, I won't let you down." He pulls away. 

I shrug. "I'm just- I'm worried. I hate this and I can't help but wonder if it'd all be better if I were just dead. Maybe he'd stop coming after everyone-"

"But then he'd go underground and we'll never find him ever again. Maybe he'll just go terrorize your brother or your sister. Maybe he'll keep coming after us. You never know. He's fucking insane, alright, killing yourself isn't worth it. You understand me?" 

I nod slowly. "Why haven't we found them yet?" I ask softly. "My dad and his crew, I mean." 

"Because," he sighs. "He's good at what he does. Most agents won't admit it, but he's really good at the job, and that makes it harder. We have general locations, but it's thousands of miles of land." He stands up. "We should go. They'll start asking questions if we stay any longer," he explains and opens the door for me. I quickly wipe the tears on my cheeks and walk out. 

"Thank you for the information, we'll be in touch," Awsten speaks. He nods at Jack before walking out the front door. 

"Jack," I stare at him. He looks exhausted. There are black rings around his eyes, and his eyes are bloodshot. His skin color looks dull and faded. "You need to get some rest, come on," I lead him up to a guest room. 

"Kellin, I need to find Alex-" He protests. 

"You can't do that if you can't even think straight," I cross my arms. "Get some rest, we'll talk about it in the morning." 

He nods and walks into the bedroom. I shut the door and turn to Vic. He walks over to me and wraps his arms around my waist. 

"I think you need to rest too," he whispers. "You look stressed." 

I shake my head. "I'm fine." 

He rolls his eyes. "Famous last words, Kellin. Seriously get some-" He pauses when his phone starts ringing. "Rest," he finishes before grabbing his phone. I bury my face into his shoulder as he answers. 

"Jaime, what the hell, I thought you were off duty-"

He stops. I feel him tense up and I look. His eyes are wide. A thousand thoughts go through my head. Is someone dead? Did they find my father? Did-

"Are you sure?" Vic asks, his voice going weak. "Jaime, are you a thousand fucking percent sure?" 

I release Vic and stare at him. "Vic-" I start. 

"JAIME. CHECK AGAIN," Vic shouts into the phone. I turn and see Jack open the door slightly, staring at us. 

"No. This can't happen," Vic's eyes fill with tears. My heart skips a beat. "They have to be wrong. They have to be." 

Jack stares straight at me. I shrug and turn back to Vic, who's visibly shaking. Fear? Anger? Sadness? Maybe all three. 

"Make them check again. I don't care if they already checked thirty times, make them check again. They have to be wrong. They-" Vic takes a breath. "Please." 

He looks up at me, tears rolling down his cheeks. Jack steps out of the guest room and over to me. 

"I'll bring Kellin," Vic speaks softly, almost like all his energy depleted. "We'll be there in twenty. Don't- don't do anything yet, okay?" 

He sighs and turns away from us, wiping away his tears. He pockets his phone and clears his throat. "Uh, Jack, sorry about that. That was just, my friend gave me some uh- bad news, it's about my job, someone I was really close to. Kellin and I have to go, we'll explain everything when we get back," Vic speaks to Jack. 

"Are you sure? I can-"

"No," Vic snaps. Jack blinks in confusion. "Sorry just- it's alright, we're fine, besides, only a certain list of people can go." 

Jack nods. "Okay... If you're sure," he speaks uneasily. 

I stare at Vic in confusion. "Vic, what's going on?" He shakes his head and walks towards the door. 

"Kellin, we have to go," he says, sounding weaker and weaker by the second. "Please." 

I nod slowly and wave to Jack before walking out the door with Vic. We ride the elevator in silence and to his car. 

"Now will you tell me?" I ask when we get into the car. 

He stares at me, tears forming in his eyes again. "Kellin... I-"

"Vic, just tell me what happened," I sigh, placing my hand on his arm. 

"He-" Vic takes a deep breath. "Kellin, it's Tony." 

"What happened to Tony?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows. Then my heart starts pounding, my head making up different terrible scenarios. "Vic, what happened to Tony?" 

He takes another deep breath, trying to sound as brave as possible. 

"Tony's dead."