Ariella sent her an understanding look, sensing the new solemnity that had taken hold of the female Beta. She was a strong warrior before, but now, having been tested with the fire of real enemies, her outlook and perspective on life had drastically shifted. Death had that effect on everyone it touched.

"We have to be prepared though," Ariella said seriously, unable to hide the gloomy tone in her voice.

They all nodded.

"Alpha, we need to appoint a new Head Guard. They need leadership, especially now." Hamilton's eyes wandered to a tightly huddled group who still wept by the glowing coals of the fire.

Ariella followed his gaze until it landed on Devanshi and her family. The sisters and brothers held tightly to their mother as they mourned their father. Rahul was their rock, and Ariella remembered all over again the pain of losing so big a part of her heart when her own parents died. She walked over to them and embraced them each, whispering words of comfort in their ears.

Malachi joined her after a few moments. "My sincerest condolences. I will never forget what Rahul gave to protect our pack," he told them respectfully. "Devanshi, I know it's soon, and I respect your time to grieve, but.... But we need you to take over as Head Guard. Your father would have been proud of you, despite what happened."

"Alpha, I'm sorry—" she choked and took a deep breath before continuing. "I'm not ready to be Head Guard. I'm not strong enough..." Her face crumpled in rejection of his proposal.

"You're one of our strongest warriors. Rahul knew that. He would want you to take on the position he held. It's only fair," the young Alpha continued, hoping to persuade her.

Devanshi continued shaking her head, her black tresses fraying around her shoulders. "I can't. I'm not.. I don't think I could be a good enough leader..."

"Devanshi, you're ready to hold the rank of Head Guard, I know that," Ariella affirmed her friend. "But.." she looked at her Alpha mate. "But I think her brother should fill the position instead." Ariella motioned to Devanshi's younger brother Vihaan to come closer.

A head taller than his sister, he was broad shouldered and well-muscled, having already reached male maturity. Though still before his prime, he was strong enough to take on five rogues single-handedly. Ariella had watched him train and lead younger wolves in training also. He was smart, cunning, and astute at protecting the borders.

"But, you said yourself Devanshi is ready for the position." Malachi scratched his chin, considering the idea. "Ariella, it makes more sense that she..."

"I know. But I just have a feeling that she's needed in another capacity. Vihaan should be Head Guard." Ariella couldn't explain it, but though she knew Devanshi could capably fill the role, there was something else that nudged her to disagree on her becoming Head Guard.

"He's only seventeen," Malachi argued, not meaning it as an insult, just assessing all facts before making a decision.

"So were you when you became Alpha," Ariella countered, sharing a conspiratorial smile with Vihaan. Though saddened and slightly vacant with grief, his black eyes shone with purpose and determination.

"You're right. Well, if it's okay with you Vihaan?" Malachi studied the younger male carefully, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Absolutely, Alpha. I will serve as Head Guard with every fibre of my body. My father gave his life protecting us. The least I can do is follow his footsteps and continue his legacy."

They shook hands, formally settling the appointment. His family smiled at Vihaan proudly; his mother, Harleen , rising on her toes to place a kiss on his cheek.