73

"Mrs. Seavey are you ready for your first session of treatment?" the doctor asks her

"as ready as i'll ever be. one question will this hurt?"

"unfortunately it might. patients have described it as a shot going through your arm but instead of it stopping once it's through it's constant. however, right after it will be fine. but with that, the side effects do in fact hurt"

"i think i'm fine with the cancer" she jokes and we all laugh

"it won't hurt that much. i promise you"

"okay then what are we waiting for. i have cancer cells to kill"

"that's the spirit"

they raise her hospital bed up and bring in some machine that must be the chemo

she closes her eyes and grabs my hand

"i hate needles" she whispers to me

"i know but you need to have one right now"

they take her other hand and count to three before they place it in her arm

she squeezes me hand hard and a tear rolls down her eye

"are you alright mrs seavey?" the doctor asks

"yes sorry it just hurts"

"it's okay just relax."

she relaxes as the machine starts to make a loud noise and i'm guessing it starts
-
"well Mrs. Seavey you're all set. how do you feel"

"really tired"

"okay well that's normal. we'll let you rest and then check on you later"

"when do i get to go home"

"in a few weeks we just need to make sure you're reacting well to the chemo"

"what if i'm not"

"we'll cross that bridge when we get there but for now you need to rest"

they leave the room and she pulls me into the bed

"i'm so tired" she whispers laying her head on my chest

i play with her hair and kiss her forehead as she falls asleep

"dani" she whispers

"yes princess"

"you love me right"

"so much"

"do you think i'm pretty"

"yes baby you're absolutely gorgeous"

"if i lose all my hair will you still think i'm pretty"

"of course i will"

"will you still love me"

"baby, no matter what i will always love you. you are my absolute world and that will never change. no matter what you look like to me you are the most beautiful girl ever."

"i love you so much" she starts to cry

"hey don't cry." i whisper wiping her tears

"i'm sorry i just haven't felt this much love from a boyfriend since i was with Jonah. you're literally my only family left and without you i don't think i would be alive right now"

"what do you mean?"

"without you in my life at this point with my grandparents being dead i would've definitely killed myself. but i met you and i have my family and everything's perfect i mean aside for the deadly cancer inside me"

"well i am definitely happy that you didn't kill yourself and i know you are going to beat this and i'm going to be with you the whole entire time i promise you"

"what if i die what will you do"

"heres the thing you're not going to die so i won't do anything"

"you have to be ready"

"i don't like to think about that"

"well can you do one thing for me. if i do die, please move on and find someone else. someone better than me, someone that can give you everything that i never could. i know i've been an awful wife and girlfriend and friend and everything. so i really hope you can move on from me"

"Kayleigh, you have been and will continue to be the absolute best person for me. there's no one in the world that could ever replace you so i'm sorry but no i will not move on if you die. i know you won't die but even if you do i will raise and be there for Ryland and Rae no matter what"

"I don't want to leave you like your ex did"

"Baby it is totally different"

"I guess bu-"

"hey let's just not talk about any of this, you just had a very important thing happen and you need all your rest"

"Okay can you play with my hair again it relaxes me"

"Of course i will" i kiss her forehead and she puts her face in my chest and my hand in her hair

"i love you" she mumbles

"i love you more."