Walking Towards The Light

Start from the beginning

"I'm sure he remembers me and ONLY me.", Karma said to Jackie. I also forgot how jealous Karma used to be." Now... Devante. I know you remember what we used to do back then. I know you remember how I can.. rock the boat. ", Karma said.

Jackie and Karma started arguing back and forth about who's better for me and who was the most beautiful. Damn. Kinda glad I'm not with either of them anymore.

"Both of you need to STOP.", another woman yelled. Jackie and Karma immediately stopped talking. We all heard footsteps near us on the stage.

"No one should be competing for somebody's affection and love. Y'all are acting so childish.",the other woman said.

This voice was extremely familiar to me. The woman finally revealed herself to all of us. I forgot how genuinely sweet and caring she was. Her hair was still in the same way I remember before that day, in burgundy to deep brown braids. Her skin was similar to Jackie and Karma's. Her eyes were both brown and hazel at the same time. Her name was Jennifer.

She still had on everything I remember before she got in the car with Timbaland

She still had on everything I remember before she got in the car with Timbaland. She was my girlfriend when Swing Mob (Da Bassment Cru) was popping.

I was in the studio and she called me, telling me that she really wanted to see me because it was her birthday. I asked Tim to pick her up for me because I wanted to surprise her with a trip to Barbados with me.

He picked her up in my truck and... they crashed into an 18-wheeler truck. He spun out of control, crashed a truck, and landed in a ditch. She flew out of the truck, with a seatbelt on, and died instantly.

For years, I blamed myself for her death and I still do to this day. Timb even blames me for it and I don't blame him. I should've just got her myself and maybe she'd still be here.

"Hey hey hey. Stop doing that.", Jennifer said to me. "It's. Not. Your. Fault. It was bound to happen anyways.", She added. " It is my fault. I could've picked you up or have a limo for you. I wanted you to enjoy the gift I had for you. ", I told her.

"Now you have somebody else you can take to Barbados.", she said. "Wait. How did you know? ", I asked her. She giggled and said,"Timbaland told me as soon as I got in the truck."

"That nigga don't know how to keep a secret at all.", I said. " I agree. He sucks at secrets.",she said. " I'm sorry. ", I said to her. " Stop apologizing Donald. I'm fine where I'm at. You need to move on and focus on this kidney transplant, recovering, and spending time with your new boo, Zhen. She seems like a good person to hang around with.", Jennifer said.

"She is. She kinda reminds me of you.", I said. "How?", She asked. "She's sexy, funny, kind. I could go on and on about her man.", I said.

After I said that, there was a light peaking through behind Jennifer. "I think it's time to go back now.", Jennifer said. "You or me?",I asked. "I mean you, you big goof.", She said chuckling. I humped my shoulders and walked to the light.

"Oh I almost forgot something. Here you go.", Jennifer said giving me something in my hand."Forgot what? What'd you give me? ",I asked her. " It's a gift for Zhen and Dyana. Say it's from a friend above.", She said before the light consumed me entirely.
...

December 20th, 2019
8:22 am

Devante's POV cont.
Aww shit. I opened my eyes and I saw Dyana watching TV and eating in her hospital bed. I groaned and moaned in pain just a little.

"Daddy! You're finally awake. I thought you were leaving me.", Dyana said while hugging me." Hey Princess. That was the best sleep I've had in a while.", I said. Dyana called for a nurse and Dr. Mayans and a nurse came in quickly.

"Welcome back, Mr. DeGrate! We thought you slipped into a coma after the surgery! How are you feeling? ", Dr. Mayans asked me.

" I feel really good. I kinda feel pain whenever I move to the side but other than that I'm good.", I said. "Good. You and Dyana will be discharged on Sunday so go ahead and get some rest and eat.", Dr. Mayans said. After that, she left.

I feel happy right now and that's a good thing. I helped my baby live freely again and my girl's close to getting out too. Life's looking real nice now. I felt something cold in my gown and I pulled it out. It was an old necklace I gave Jennifer on our first anniversary. It's two necklaces that have two white doves on it. I almost forgot I gave this to her.

to be continued

to be continued...

Hope y'all really like this chapter ❤️💙💚