recovery.

"I sarwe.", Zhen said "Don't say sorry for this. I don't mind doing this for you baby. You should know that by now. I just want you to get better.". I said to her. She smiled at me. While I was rubbing the numbing cream on her ribs, I felt Zhen holding my hand and we just watched tv together.

to be continued...

December 11, 2019

7:00pm

Zhen's POV

After spending so much time with each other, I started to feel better about myself. A few days passed and I realized that Devante was missing out on his music. So I made the decision to tell Devante to go home and lay in his own bed instead of that uncomfortable ass chair. Now it's just me by myself and I'm doing pretty well.

Nine days have passed and I don't feel any more pain from my ribs. As for my hand, it'll take two more weeks to heal. After I woke up, Dr. Mayans kept her promise and paid a tutor to help me with my speech and memory.

I was laying in bed watching TV and I heard a knock on my door. I got up from my bed and walked towards the door then I opened it. It was my tutor, Mr. Morte.  He's kinda cute but not cute enough to cheat. He's 6'2 so he's taller than me and he's really articulate and kind.

 He's 6'2 so he's taller than me and he's really articulate and kind

"Why thank you, Zhen.", Mr. Morte said while coming inside my room. "Hi.", I said while walking back to my bed. "So how have you been since our first lesson?", he asked. I thought for a minute. come on. just say really good. "I-I hen g-gud.", I struggled to say. Mr. Morte smiled at me and said, "It's okay to mess up Zhen. There's no need for you to impress me every time we see each other. You've already impressed me by surviving that deadly car crash.", he said.

I grinned at his response. I know I don't have to but it's just that I desperately want to speak clearly again. I'm tired of people barely understanding what I'm saying including yall. I know yall getting tired of reading complicated as shit whenever it's time for me to talk.

"Tha-Thank you.", I said to him. "See, you're already doing better and you're welcome. So, are you ready for your next lesson?", he said. I nodded my head. "Okay let's start.", he said while taking out children's books, paper, and pencils.

...

In Dyana's Room

Dyana's POV

"So are you ready for some news?", Dr. Mayans asked me. "Yes ma'am. Tell me the bad news first then the good news.", I said. Dr. Mayans chuckled. "What?", I asked.  "Oh, nothing. It's just that you said you wanted the bad news first. I don't have any bad news for you. I only have good news for you.", she said cheerfully. "What's the good news?", I asked her. "In the next couple of days, you'll have your kidney transfer surgery.", Dr.Mayans said.

I was speechless and had a big smile on my face. "Really?", I said to confirm what was said to be really true. "Yup it's true. So we'll be putting you on an even healthier diet, and make you exercise even more so you can prep you the transplant.", she said. I started up tearing up. "I'm sorry. You just don't how much I want to get out here and see my son again. I'm tired of being in here.", I said to her.

"Believe me I'm a little tired of seeing you and Zhen in these rooms too. I'm pushing all of my authority to make sure that you both have smooth and successful things done so you guys can leave.", she said. "Do you know who's the donor?", I asked. "Oh yes, I do. It's your dad, Mr. DeGrate.". she answered. 

"H-He's my donor? But..", I said before Dr. Mayans interrupted. "Yes although Mr. DeGrate isn't biologically your father I don't think that'll stop him from being in your life as a father.", she said. "Most people just leave and abandon kids whether biologically or not.", she added. "You're right. Are you...never mind.", I was about to ask.

"Am I what? Go ahead and ask. I won't be offended.", she said. "Were you raised by your biological parents?", I asked her. "Unfortunately, I wasn't. My father was burned to death in a Walmart back in '93. My mother is still alive but she's a heroin and crack addict. I was an orphan who got raised into a loving black family and made me feel like I was and still am their own kids.", she said. 

"Damn. I should've never asked you that.", I said. Dr. Mayans laughed. "It's totally fine. You didn't know. Like I said, I'm not offended.", she said. Her phone started ringing and she answered it. "Hello?", she answered. "Uh-huh. Yeah. Yes, we can schedule on a Thursday.", Dr. Mayans said while leaving my room. As she was leaving, I waved bye to her and she waved back.

I sighed. I'm ready for this surgery man.

to be continued.....