Thunder

lol i had to fix mistakes :(

~ ~ ~

I stare up at the ceiling, listening to the raindrops ricocheting off the tin roof above my head. They make a soft dinging noise as they land gracefully and spiral to the sodden ground below. I can imagine the drops sliding off the edge, letting out a squeal of delight.

The sound comforts me, sending light goosebumps up and down my body. I snuggle deeper into my blanket, savouring the warmth it offers me. I'm so glad that Warren managed to find the blankets before the zombies piled into the house, forcing us into the barn out back. 

The smell of hay fills my nostrils, a pleasant scent that makes me sigh in contentment. It reminds me of the bales that littered my grandparents farm and the way I would leap from one to the other, laughing with joy.

I turn over, seeing the dark silhouette of 10k by the door. His hand stays on his knife, always ready. Watching and waiting. I hope that the zombies don't come here. I could easily fall asleep and not wake up for a hundred years.

In the makeshift bed near mine, Addy lets out a loud snore and rolls over on top of Mack, which makes me hold in a sleepy giggle. I hear various other shuffling noises from the other side of the barn, along with a muttering from Murphy. Luckily the barn is spacious and we can all spread out.

If I had to listen to Murphy snore in my ear one more night, I think I would have turn myself Z.

The rain is gentler, falling like whispers from the heavens. I close my eyes and let out a soft breath, burying my head into my makeshift pillow. This might be the best night of the apocalypse so far. 

Suddenly, the rain picks up pace, falling harder onto the tin. It strikes above me, demanding to be let in, to shelter from the cruel outside world. The noise startles me, making my body flinch under the blanket.

I take a deep breath and let it out shakily, willing myself to relax.

Maybe if I fall asleep fast enough, I can skip the storm that's coming.

I snuggle closer to the blanket taking a deep breath and letting it out shakily. The fabric swaddles me in its warmth and pull me under, coaxing me into the sweet lull of sleep. 

                                                                           ~ ~ ~

I startle awake, the screaming of the rain roughly dragging me out of sleep. I sit up, heavily breathing in shock and looking up at the ceiling with wide eyes. My ears perk up, listening. 

Thunder claps in the distance, making me grip the edge of my blanket. It booms, releasing the rage that the raindrops themselves can't express. Lightning flashes through the small windows, igniting the world before coating it in darkness again. I let out a whimper.

Damned fear of thunder.

Another clap of thunder makes me hurriedly lay back down, pulling the blanket over my head. I gasp for air, feeling the fear restrict my throat. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping that would be enough to block it all out.

A pressure lands on my back and I let out a squeal of surprise and fear, burrowing further into the blanket. Something tries to pull the blanket off and I clutch my fluffy shield. The outside becomes so much louder and I bury my head into my pillow as the chill hits my exposed body. 

'Hey, hey! Are you okay?' 

The voice is a quiet whisper, loud enough to be heard over the rain but hushed as to not wake up the other members. It's panicked and the hand moves from my back to my hair, gently pushing it back to see my face.