mercy (rewritten)

I had mad writer's block but then suddenly I couldn't stop rewriting this so here u go :)

~ ~ ~

Jacob is standing with his hands in the air, a grin on his face. It's wide enough to show his gums and molars and it really freaks you out. He yells, spit flying from his mouth. The zombies are going crazy, egging him on. He turns and smirks at them like they're loving fans at his concert.

You roll your eyes and join 10k at the window. Jacob's ramblings are ridiculous. I mean, seriously, worshipping zombies and believing that they are closer to heaven than we are? Zombies aren't even alive... really. And anyway, you should be the one who's first in line for heaven for all of the things that you've had to put up with the past few years.

10k squints, looking into his scope. You look over his shoulder, anxiously hopping from foot to foot.

'Can you get a shot?' You ask nervously. He glances at you and then looks back into the scope. He looks for a couple more minutes before sighing and pulling his gun to his side.

'No. I need to get on the roof,' 10k replies. 

You sigh but turn to follow him. You would have thought that someone who is a good shooter like 10k could always get a shot. It seems that way, like when his bullet whizzed through the rotten apple on your head instead of through your skull. 

Or, at least he could cause a distraction...

The idea forms in your mind quickly, and although it's stupid, it might just work. You turn the opposite way to 10k, making your way over to the open door at the end of the hallway.

'Y/N! What are you doing?' He yells, noticing. You turn and wave your hand at him, motioning for him to continue onto the roof.

'Go! I've got this!' You reply, running out of the door. A young woman is in front of you and you nudge her out of the way, exploding with a string of apologies as you rush by. 

You head out into the yard, seeing the zombies stuck in the cages. You pant as you see Jacob close up and the group surrounding him. They're kneeling with their hands behind their backs, tied up. 

Doc's eyes widen as you walk close, telling you to turn back. But you continue forward, standing behind the group and facing Jacob. He stares at you in wonder as you approach, his head slightly cocked to the side. But that smile never fades.

'Well. Looks like we have another one to join us. Tie her up,' He says, motioning to the guards.

'Wait!' You reply, making them freeze. You hold your hands up. 'Can I ask you something?'

Jacob holds his hand out, stopping the guards in their tracks. Then he locks eyes with you, still grinning. 

'Give me one reason why I shouldn't tie you up like the rest of them. And don't try to stall me.'

His eyes grow darker, piercing into your soul. You hold your hands up high and smile as wide as you can to match his own grin.

'I'm not armed. Trust me, I'm harmless. I just want to know your story. How you built your... amazing establishment through these hard times,' You say. Jacob's eyes lighten but he stays silent, so you continue. 'I-I mean how did you even come to this realization? And how can I become more like you?'

Jacob's grin grows wider; something you didn't think was possible. From below you, Addy scoffs as she wriggles from the grasp of the ties.

'Are you feeling alright?' She spits in hatred as she struggles.

You look down at her and wink subtly, before dramatically putting your hands on your chest. 'Of course I am, my sister. In fact, I am feeling more than alright. I feel empowered!'