No Rules Allowed

"We should reassess our relationship for one last time."

Ayaka's words were etched into the third Ootori son's mind. Although he decided to pretend she did not say anything and left the room. He left her hanging by a thread and it was a torture akin to hell itself.

All he wanted was someone that he loves to stay by his side while he strive to work on his path to be the perfect successor. But things were falling apart. The fact that Ayaka almost broke things off aggravated him the most.

Even so he found ways to cope with his mess. Kyouya started painting even more, even if they were scary and the paintings were gloomy. He refused to talk to Tamaki via text and the best friends was starting to panic.

His grades remained on top.

The purple haired girl found her solitude was starting to feel very comforting. Eventually she went back to her mansion, knowing that Dr Alex wasn't around anymore. A doctor from the Ootori hospital was assigned to take care of her and supply the necessary medications. Aphrodite took one last look at her photo gallery, which had memorable pictures of her and Kyouya in it, before deleting everything.

Her heart felt heavy. She felt that her DID and MDD had became worse. Ayaka couldn't bring herself to eat and she was texting Haruhi about it. Haruhi eventually visited her and brought homemade spaghetti to feed the girl.

"It's not as good as Gordon Ramsey but I hope you like it." She chuckled softly.

"I think your cooking is better than a hotel buffet, Haruhi. Thank you for visiting me." Aphe smiled as she ate the food with vigor.

"Tamaki would be lucky to have you as a wife." The goddess type added. A small blush crept on Haruhi's cheeks.

"W-well I guess you're right."

The mood turned sombre afterwards, after realizing how sad the purple haired girl was. She became depressed and thinner after a week of not talking to Kyouya. Aphrodite wanted to give up completely by just staying silent for a month. But the fact that she had been sick, skipping school and tests did not gave a good impression to Kyouya himself.

"You know, Aphe. I might not relate to you or Kyouya-senpai's problems but a stable relationship consists of hard work and perseverance. Surely the goddess of love would understand." Haruhi explained nicely.

"I know. But I'm just so exhausted after he tapped my phone for the past month. He was only sorry when he got caught." Aphe took a deep a breath and sighed.

"I don't wanna see him. But I'll go back to school once I feel better."

Haruhi frowned and hugged her best friend.

"I hope you'll come to school again soon. We all miss you."

No doubt, the goddess type knew she was in the wrong as well for not getting over her past, about Alice's death, also Aphe's own suicide attempts. Kyouya has his own inferiority complex due to being the third son with two outstanding brothers who are most likely to succeed the company. He was starting to think relationships aren't for him. Or so he thought.

"What do you think you're doing, Kyouya?! Do you love her or not?" Tamaki immediately confronted the cold and depressed Kyouya. He slept the whole day on a weekend and Kyouya never replied to his texts.

"I don't know." The Ootori boy mumbled in a foul mood and covered himself inside the sheets.

"Bullshit." Tamaki yanked the comforter away and saw Kyouya in the worst state possible. He had sunken eyes with redness at the sides, even paler than a vampire could ever be and he became slimmer due to the fact that he couldn't bring himself to eat without throwing everything up later on.

"Look at yourself! Is this the face of the son that will succeed the Ootori group?! Get a grip!" The blonde shouted again, shaking the other boy's shoulders. Kyouya pushed him away angrily, almost wanting to punch Tamaki in the face.

"What do you mean get a grip? I've been studying and my grades became better as well. Just fuck off would you-"

"I don't care about your grades!" Tamaki protested with tears in his eyes. "I just want the sarcastic and evil Kyouya to feel better again! To live his life! To be honest with himself and go for the one he loves! Don't you get it?! You're like this because you refused to fix things. Even if you guys are breaking up, do it in a good way so that all of us could get along in the host club once more."

Kyouya didn't react at first. He was undeniably exhausted. Mentally and physically. Every waking moment felt like torture to his soul. Fuyumi couldn't help him either, she was not enlightened as to what happened between him and Aphrodite. Kyouya kept his mouth shut for the longest time.

"You can do this, mon ami. I believe in you. Whatever your decision would be, I would respect that."

Kyouya couldn't stop the tears running down his cheeks.

"Kyouya, do you remember this song? It goes like, la la laaa la la-" Ayaka spoke while humming the tune to a familiar song. They were sitting at the living room, chilling after a short study session.

Kyouya smiled as he looked at her tenderly like she's the love of his life.

"November sunrise. Am I correct?" He answered.

"Absolutely. Now let me show you how it sounds like on the piano." Aphrodite stood up and sat in front of the grand piano keys. She started playing to the tune and Kyouya listened ardently.

He loved every second of it.

He saw colours in her music. He felt love in her gestures and behavior. He saw infatuation in her physical beauty. Conversations were replayed in his mind ever since they didn't talk to each other. Kyouya thought, the Ayaka he loves might never get over her dreadful past. Now the memory of her pretty face and eye smile feels like hell on it's own. Maybe she does belong to hell and should stay there for a long time, but alas the demon lord in hell would still be Ootori Kyouya himself.

The rules of love.

Kyouya realized they've never discussed the final rule. The future feels uncertain. Nevertheless his main goal is to be the successor of the company. If she couldn't be available for him until then, perhaps the relationship is futile.

After Tamaki consoled the bff and went home on his own, Kyouya immediately checked his texts. One of it was from Aphrodite herself. She wrote,

I'm sorry that things have turned out to be this way. I want to apologize for all the bad things I've done to you, for pushing you away and accidentally hurting your feelings over and over again. I just noticed that we're probably not meant for each other. Maybe not in this timeline.

If it wasn't for me not getting over my past, my mental illness, maybe it is more favorable for you and I could bring myself to take care of you too. Maybe in another timeline, we could be engaged and married, have one or two kids while you would be the successor of the company and thrive. Again, I'm really sorry. I hope you'll meet someone better than me. Then, all the rules of love would be applied better and you would be happier.

I think I didn't follow through with my own rules when I was with you and that, is a failure on my end.

Kyouya immediately texted her back,

There are no rules in love, Ayaka. Keep all those apologies and thoughts about a different timeline. I'm going to see you and ask for your hand in marriage. You can refuse of course. I have no regrets. But you have to remember that there are no rules you have to follow this time.

Because it would be a lie if I say I don't want to see you anymore and hold you in my arms again. This is your last chance.