A Change Of Pace

A/N: First things first here. This chapter is short. Possibly even the shortest chapter I've put up here. But there's a few things I need to put up here.

Here we are. Chapter 99. As I've gotten more into this story, I've been debating doing something... special? For chapter 100. And I think I'm gonna go ahead and go through with it. So that being this said, this chapter, while developing a minor portion in the end, also serves a few other uses.

One, as a Q&A. Let me know what you think of the story so far! I want to know! Any other things you'd like to see? Any recommendations?

Secondly, here.

http://discord.gg/h2yXARX

That's the discord link for the discord server. Come and stop by. Server discussion, memes, even finding people to play some games with. It's there. Keep in the know with all that's going on with the story!

If that doesn't work, DM me here on Wattpad and I'll get you in that way.

So it's about time to get This across. I don't know when 100 will be ready and I won't make any promises. But hopefully, it develops quite a bit for this story.

I'll see you when I see you!

—/—\—

She'd been told that it wasn't her fault, that at the end of the day, what had happened was a bad stroke of luck and nothing else. She'd been told by those around her, her own countrymen and foreign alike that what had gone down that night was as far from her fault as possible. That it was all cosmic fate and divine intervention, that it didn't fall to her at the end of the day.

That's what they said.

But as she sat there, as she looked at her hands with those tired eyes, the dark circles more pronounced than they had been in the past weeks, she couldn't bring herself to put any stock in those words. Not after what had happened, not after what she'd watched go down. She knew they were all trying to simply keep an eye on her. But it didn't seem to matter to her.

If you asked Admiral Valeria Sonferi what she thought, her response would be quiet and down. If you asked her if she thought she had the blood of thousands of Americans on her hands, what you would get in response would be a quiet yes. There was no hesitation, no thoughts on the subject. There was her answer and that was that. There was no deliberation on the subject. Her eyes eyes would meet yours, in a slow and broken manner, before she looked back down to her work.

Which at the moment was largely just paperwork. The pen in her hand ached as it rested against her fingers, the woman having been working far longer than she should've without proper rest. The silence of her office was damning, only the occasional sound of someone's footsteps on the other side of her door. She could hear when they slowed, when they hesitated. But all of them eventually went on their way, her door a memory left behind.

She didn't mind. Not anymore.

There was already pressure on her to give up her position, but large amounts of it was from within her own nation's standings. The few American officers that she did know or that she had met didn't seem to hold it against her. Not like her own nation did so.

American blood lost in the defense of Italy.

With only seven people having made it out.

That number was looking to drop based on the medical reports she'd managed to get a look at. After a moment, she let the pen drop to her desk as she leaned back in her chair as her hands met her face, rubbing her eyes for a moment. Her body screamed at her for sleep, for rest, for anything meaningful. But she refused to give into it, refused to allow herself that. After a moment, she leaned back to her desk as she picked up her pen again.