"Ariella, you made it!"

I turn around quickly at the sound of my name, and my face fills with a wide grin as I see Gabby running down the beach towards me. Behind her is her brother Joshua, both dressed in white. Gabby's sundress sways gracefully with every step, her hair long and flowing, shining blonde and teased by the breeze that gently blows from off the sea.

I rush into her outstretched arms and hold her tight. Tears prick my eyes at the comfort of her familiar embrace. "What happened? Last I saw you, we were surrounded by demons and I didn't know if you survived..." my voice catches, and I pull back to look her in the eyes, hastily wiping the stubborn moisture from my own.

She gives me a reassuring smile, her sky-blue eyes twinkling as though filled with many secrets. "Demons are still no match for me and Joshua. I went back to inform him of what was happening as soon as we saw what Seneca was up to. We then sent back-up to DoubleEdge and helped as much as we could. But... but not everyone survived the battle. I'm sorry, Ariella," her smile slips, and she rubs my shoulders comfortingly.

"Battle? I don't remember that part. I just remember the eclipse reaching totality, and Seneca was about to kill Malachi... then I..." I frown and search for the right words, wondering just how I managed to snap free from the elizenthium cuffs and slip away from the two demons holding me. How did I run to Malachi and throw myself between him and the deadly knife? Either way, I can only assume I am dead now. The thought doesn't frighten me as much as I might have thought it would.

"You saved him. You saved many lives, actually. Your sacrifice encouraged the other wolves to fight. They defeated many demons and rogues, but as I said, not all made it."

I nod sadly, realising how many more deaths are now on my head. If only I'd seen through Knight's deception sooner. If only I'd made Malachi believe me and understand the truth about his betrayal. If only I could have stopped Seneca's horrible plans instead of falling for her lies...

"There wasn't anything else you could have done, Ariella," Gabby tells me softly, her words like a warm spring after a cold winter rain has engulfed me. I meet her eyes and feel the impression she can sense what I'm thinking.

I look at her closely as if for the first time, my eyes tracing over her flawless skin and sparkling eyes, not a fleck of darkness hidden even in the pupils. Gold flecks her irises, and her smile is almost mischievous. "Who are you? I mean, I saw Luci...She was a..." Again, I'm at a loss for words. The truth about my best friends since childhood may be too much for me to bear.

"She was a demon," Gabby nods sadly, biting her lip then continuing. "And you know what I am. You even saw us as we truly were the night we first met," her lips lift in a small smile.

"An angel," I release a shuddery breath, relief washing through me. "I guess I always knew the truth." The knowledge actually lightens my spirit, and I take another deep breath. Each one sends energy into my very core. "So what happened to Luci? If she was fighting against us all along, and working with Seneca..."

"Her spirit was dragged back to the Abyss. Her time of wandering the earth and tempting mortal souls was over. The King made that final decision, which wasn't hard given her intent to ruin you all."

"The King...?" So many questions now buzz in my mind, but I need to know more about Luci. A part of me is saddened at the loss of my friend, but knowing who she truly was, I wonder if she ever really was a friend to me. "So Luci was on earth all these years? Or the interealm? How come I could always see you both, and Joshua," I give him a nod as he stands by patiently listening to our exchange, "if you're spirits? I know I sometimes caught glimpses of the Interealm, but you were always living in the pack."