1. [Edited]

[Edit: Please check out the characters at the end of this book before reading the story to see how they look in my head, if not then you are free to imagine them as whatever/whoever you choose/like :) ]

Jackie was a young merman, a rare species that was thought to be extinct. Why? because he is a merman who has a breeding pouch too, much like uterus of a female human. You can call him hermaphrodite. With blueish eyes, curly greyish hair, plump lips, and sparkling tail, with feminine-looking features, even though being a male, he stood out among other mermaids.

Mermaids will turn their heads to look at this beauty, but he was not aware of the eyes on him.

There is also a thing for them, called 'Mates'. All mermaids and mermen have hearts that bind their soul to someone of their own species called 'Bonds'. Finding someone who your soul yearns for, and who can make you feel complete in a way, which no one else can do sounds romantic but every good thing also comes with some bads. If a mermaid or merman doesn't find his or her mate, their hearts will become cold, and it will lead to their life becoming miserable, not to mention the depression and anxiety they will have to face.

But this intraspecific bonding was not applicable to Jackie, as he was the rare type. The hermaphrodite merman or mermaid have their mate on land. Yes, land. That means Jackie's mate was not a mermaid but a human. He was well aware of this as his mermaid sisters told him the way to land or teased him about his human mate.

Once he became 18, he started his journey to land, not knowing anything about humans other then what he heard in stories. He was anxious but also excited. Finally, he will find someone to complete him. He wants to meet someone who makes him feel like music does. He was waiting on his own, he is good at waiting but since his heart becomes so restless without his mate, he wanted to become one as soon as possible.

Jackie swam through the ocean, following wherever his instincts lead him. Overcoming storms and massive waves in between, the waves starts then become silent for few hours only to come back with greater force. The massive waves unforgiving as they crashed against Jackie's corse as he was on the ocean surface.

After swimming for not knowing how much time, without food. He was so tired and hurt as his body crashed on the rocks many times. But all his efforts bears fruit when he saw glimpses on land, he smiled but lost consciousness. Soon Jackie was washed up to shore, morning came and slowly the sunrays dried him and convert his tail to two legs.

Regaining consciousness.. he coughed and coughed, not used to breathing air. Burning his lungs. He slowly sat up. Looking around confused.

The place where Jackie came was the city beach.

-

Ryan was out on a beach date with his girlfriend, they were hanging around and they were so focused on each other that they forget they came far away from the main beach, to the area where Jackie was.

Jackie whimpered softly as the side of his thigh had a cut, bleeding with sand and dirt on it. Suddenly Jackie felt a spark on his back, he looked over as he gasped. Seeing Ryan...

'Mate'

He thought, he thought his mate would be a female human but seeing Ryan he was not least bit disappointed as Ryan's feature's caught him off guard. Ryan's face wasn't anything extraordinary or significant, and yet, he felt somehow magically drawn to those serious and silent features. Jackie couldn't help but notice his clean skin, along with his messy hairstyle, he found him awe-striking. Ryan's dark brownish hair caught his attention the most, not to mention his husky laugh.

But Jackie couldn't move due to his wound and don't know English just yet. Only knowing to understand a few basic phrases, which he heard in stories. He tried to move but whimpered once again, his leg was numb, with only soreness and pain.