Sixty-Eight: Letters

MADISON'S POV

I waved to Clara as I walked into the house, setting down my school bag and heading toward the kitchen. It was Friday, I was on my period, and I'd had a bad day at school.

"Mads! How was school?" Ashton asks, interlocking his fingers with Clara.

"Bad."

I don't elaborate as I grab a couple kit-kats from our candy bowl, a water, and move toward the stairs.

"Woah, hold up!" He says, letting go of his girlfriend to stop me. "Do you wanna talk?"

"No, thanks." I sigh, moving past him.

After heading upstairs and locking myself in my room, I change into comfier clothes and collapse on my bed.

But an hour of doing that and scrolling through social media leaves me kinda bored. Maybe I'll go annoy Calum or something instead.

First I check his room, but it's empty so I check the living room and the basement, to no avail. And he's not in the backyard either... so I turn to Ashton who's still in the kitchen with Clara.

"Where's Calum?"

He shrugs, sending me to ask Luke. I ask the same thing while he's half distracted by his phone.

"Cal? Should be home for dinner, I think he's with—" he cuts himself off, eyes wide as he looks up at me. "With, uh, Michael,"

"Who's with me?" Michael hums, coming down the stairs.

My eyes narrow. "Who is Calum with?"

"Dude, you told her he was with Lilah?" Michael scoffs. Lilah?

"I didn't give her a name, dumbass!"

They start bickering, which gets the attention of Ashton, who immediately joins in. Apparently I wasn't supposed to know about Lilah.

Clara rolls her eyes as they argue, coming to stand behind me. "They're idiots."

I let out a small laugh for what felt like the first time today. But there are more important things to talk about.

"Who is Lilah?" I ask, raising my voice so they hear me.

"I'll go call Calum," Michael mumbles and wanders off. The other two boys exchange awkward looks but wait for him to come back. "He said he's on his way. I think he should tell you."

"Come on."

"Did I forget to tell you guys she was in a bad mood?" Ashton chuckles awkwardly.

"Would've been nice to mention. I'll text him a warning," Michael shakes his head. They're treating this like it's sensitive information and I'm a time-bomb or something.

But they really are good at staying silent. They refuse to mention anything, but I could kind of guess who Lilah was.

Calum got home about 15 minutes later, bouncing with nervous energy and looking extremely annoyed at the boys.

"Hey, Mads," he smiles, then turns his attention to them. "What the fuck guys?"

"It was an accident!" Michael whines.

Ashton steps forward, and looks to Clara so she backs him up. "I just wanna say I was in the kitchen when they blabbed and it was not my fault."

Yeah, so obviously Calum intended to keep this girl a secret for a while like Ashton did with Clara, and it didn't work out.

It wasn't that hard to draw a conclusion about. But I wanted to hear him say it.

Really I didn't care if they were dating, but when they felt they had to keep it such a huge secret it annoyed me. Sure they don't really wanna introduce their girlfriends to me right away, but they could at least mention when they're seeing someone.