Thirty-Two: Kayaking

MADISON'S POV

As mine and James' lips disconnected, I saw him frowning. I also turned to see Luke's gale turn to a scowl. Calum and Ashton were completely uncomfortable with what was going on, but they would never say anything. Michael looked a bit upset, but I was 16 now, not 14. He was at least happy I wasn't kissing Luke.

James wasn't happy to be doing this, but he didn't say no. I felt bad, knowing he liked me. I knew that if I told Michael that those marks we're from Luke that he would kill me. I couldn't do that. Especially when I could picture michaels face flashing disappointment, then the anger he held toward Luke when he saw us kissing. Or the bruise on my wrist which had just barely faded.

I sigh, mouthing an apology to Luke. He frowns, looking down with sad eyes. He has to understand that Michael can't find out though.

As of right now, we had finished swimming in the lake. We had also finished dinner, and decided that we would go kayaking. Calum and Ashton were going to go in one, Michael and Luke, Violet and Greg, and James and I. Everyone was out getting the kayaks ready, but Calum asked to see me in the cabin for a minute.

"Maddie, what the hell are you doing? And let me see those." he points to my stomach and I slowly lift my shirt, him reaching out and touching them. There were five large marks on my stomach that Luke had left. "Those are from Luke, right?"

"Uh, yea. But I promise that's all that happened." I swear, seeing some relief on Calum's face as I lower my shirt again.

"Jesus Christ. I guess Luke really isn't vanilla." Calum mutters under his breath and I giggle. "Olay but seriously, what are you doing? Do you want Luke to kill James?" I shake my head.

"I just- I don't know. Michael can't know these are from Luke though, Luke has to understand that." I bite my lip, Calum raising his eyebrows.

"Do you even like Luke?"

"I just- I don't know. It's-it's complicted." Calum huffs, being his best friend and all.

"Well, please figure that out. I know that Luke likes you. You may be my daughter and all-"

I cut Calum off by laughing. That just sounds so weird to me. I could never call him dad or anything. That would be so weird.

"-but Luke is one of my best friends." he finishes with an eye roll.

"Okay, okay. I get it." I open the door about to step out. "Dad." and I shut the door behind me, rushing off to the kayaks. I can picture Calum crossing his arms with a huff, and maybe even a deep chuckle.

Maybe I should start calling Calum dad, I feel like that would confuse everyone a lot. Hm. Maybe only when I want something instead. Yeah, that works. I laugh as he comes outside, giving me a cheeky grin. Michael looks over to James and I, James planting a peck to my lips as we climb into the kayak.

This time, Luke's smile falters, but not into a frown. He glares at the sight of James and I following Ashton and Calum's kayak. James and I start to spin in circles when we get a but further out into the lake, laughing and disturbing the peacefulness. Luke is glaring our way, but I don't even notice at the fun I'm having.

"Fuck you, James." I laugh lightly as he splashes me.

"I bet you would." he playfully winks, playing off our act.

"Hey! There will be no fucking here!" Michael yells from about 20 feet behind us. I stick my tongue out at him, him looking at us with a pout. He knows we're joking around, but I'm not so sure Luke does.

In our midst of spinning in a circle, James and I don't realize we're tipping the kayak over to one side a little as we flip over. We pop up, laughing and seeing everyone's relieved looks since we're okay.

"We're gonna swim back to camp since we're not too far out. We'll see you back there." I smile, waving at everyone and grabbing the rope as James and I head back to our site. We weren't very far out yet, so it only takes us about 10 minutes to swim back.

•••

James and I had been back at camp for about 45 minutes, just gathering some firewood. We were sitting by the shore, watching as the sun was barely starting to set.

"Do you really still like me?" I ask quietly, thinking about the necklace.

"I guess I never really stopped. I got depressed after you ran out of the dance crying, because I caused that." he looks down in shame. I feel terrible, asking him to act like he's in a relationship with me though. "You don't feel the same though, right? Figures." he laughs sadly, kicking a rock.

"James-"

"I'm so stupid." he laughs again. I frown. I'm a terrible person. "Just, tell me one thing."

I nod, but he leans in and connects our lips. I'm shocked at this, and he pulls away a little bit after.

"Are you sure?" he asks, walking away and into the cabin. I'm standing there alone, and turn my head to see everyone is back. Luke looks absolutely broken, and I understand why. He pulls his lips into a flat line and slowly nods. We were kissing when we didn't know anyone was here. That doesn't look good.

"Luke and I will take care of the kayaks, you guys head inside." I wave them out, nobody thinking much of it. Luke starts taking one of the kayaks out, not saying anything. "Luke look-"

"No, Madison it's fine." he sighs deeply, a permanent frown etched on his face.

"He kissed me." I blurt fast, not wanting Luke to be mad at me.

"I promise, it's fine. I know we can't let Michael know anyways. I'll be okay." he chuckles lightly, but I know he's upset. I smack my lips together and help him get the kayaks up, before handing him my still damp flannel.

"I'm going for a walk. Bring that inside." I mumble, walking past the cabin and into the woods, following the path as the sun is almost completely set on the horizon.

A/N

So like its only 10:30 I'll probably update again soon

I hung out with people today and it was so fucking hot I swear I was going to have a heat stroke