Chapter 20 - How many nights till it takes

Start from the beginning

"Can I reheat this so we can eat our dinner earlier?"

"Yeah, sure! I will just change first, be right back."

When I get back, the dinner was already served and he was waiting for me on the table. We had our usual awkward silence dinner. I volunteered to clean and wash the dishes and pots but then something stung on my left index finger making me screamed because it hurt.

"What happened?" He asked as he approached me immediately.

"I don't know. Something is inside my finger and it's painful."

"Let me see." He checked it. "Splinter. Maybe you got it when you rifted the woods. I will see what I can do." He went to his tent, and when he came back, a flashlight and a first aid kit were on his hands. We sat on the stool as he put the kit on the table.

"What are you doing?"

"I will try to remove it. Obviously..." He rolled his eyes.

"Does it hurt?"

"It will be more painful if we won't get it. Trust me. I have done this multiple of times with Fred. Now, your hand, please?" He used the flashlight to check how deep my wound was. "Ehmm, hold this flashlight for me."

He held my left hand using both of his hands giving me an electric shock as I got nervous being this close with him again. He was so serious making his eyebrows knitted and his tongue out looking so cute as ever. After a few minutes of mending my splinter, I thought of pranking him.

"Aawww!" I shouted.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Does it hurt, Babe?"

"Hahahaha! Gotcha!"

"What the f*ck, Styles!"

"I'm sorry! I was just joking."

"You know that it's not funny, right?!"

"Because! You look cute when you're doing that kind of face."

"What face?" He shrugged.

"That face! Uhmm... Nothing. Just don't mind me. I'm sorry!" I said, but I continuously giggled.

"What?!"

"Nothing... It's just that... Nah, nothing!"

"What? If you won't tell me, I will leave you here and let you suffer from the pain!" He was about to stand but I stopped him.

"Okay, okay! You... you... uhmm... called me 'Babe'. And it felt so nice hearing that from you. And you worried so much! Meaning to say..."

"Whatever, Styles! Don't assume anything!"

And he continued plucking that piece of wood from my skin using the tweezers. I sighed in relief when he finally removed it.

"There you go! Done!" He said excitedly with a happy face, stick on the band aid for finishing it successfully and kissed the tip of my finger making us both surprised and paused for a minute.

"Lou..."

"I... I'm sorry. It's just that I usually do that to Fred and..."

"Lou, you don't need to be sorry. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I should go now. I'm kinda sleepy."

I didn't stop him because I knew how embarrassed he was and I didn't want to make it worse. I chose to stay in my tent too and just read a book until I slept.

The next day, he woke me up again informing me to go somewhere. And when he left, I quickly changed my pyjamas and wore a shirt, shorts and my hiking shoes. I saw the food on the table and he was already few metres away from our camp site.