stay

a/n: hello everyone! yes, I know it's been months since I've updated this book and I am so sorry. I've started high school and it's been really hard to adjust to. I'm also struggling with some other personal things but I think I'm doing better now. thank you all for being patient and I hope people are still reading this book. I'm so happy to get this oneshot out and my goal is to hopefully resume at least a semi-normal update schedule.

anyways, this oneshot is set after season two because what do you know I'm really sad and disappointed with how season three ended so I'm holding onto season two as long as I can.

it was recently the two year anniversary of season two and I'm really emotional about it. season two has always been my favorite (season two mileven too)

anyways okay let's get into this! this ones a long one (over 2000 words) and its all main pov. okay I'll stop talking now. I hope you enjoy and leave comments because I love reading them!!

Main POV

Mike had never felt more relief in his whole life when El walked through that door. He couldn't believe she was there, but he felt some sort of pride in knowing that he was right. He knew in his heart that she wasn't gone and now she was here alive, right in front of him to prove it.

He remembers smiling at her as the tears welled up in his eyes and slowly rolled down his freckled cheeks. He remembers the moment where he finally rushed to her and held her in his arms. It had been so long since he had felt her warmth.

They both had let out a breath of relief in that moment reveling in the fact that they were both here, that they were finally together. A promise that had been kept between them wordlessly.

Then Mike had to say goodbye once again. He was hoping he wouldn't have to watch her leave again once she was back in his arms. But she promised she would be careful and she would come back. They both held onto that throughout the night as El faced the strength of the gate and Mike lit the tunnels up in flames.

"Just be careful, alright?
I can't lose you again."

"You won't lose me."

"Do you promise?"

"Promise."

Mike had sat staring at the front window of the Byers' house for what could've been hours. He had been hoping that by the time he, and majority of the party members, got back from the tunnels, that El would be safe and home.

He had been wrong, bringing him to this moment of worrying and pacing across the floors covered in scribbled drawings. All he wanted was for her to be okay.

When he heard the tires coming up the gravel road, he was immediately on his feet, rushing to the door to run out and find El. Even if he tripped over himself a couple of times.

She had been so weak in the moment he saw her, yet she could never actually be weak because she was the strongest person he'd ever known. Her veins and the dirt and blood of her actions stuck out starkly against her pale skin.

Despite Mike's efforts to hold onto El and never let go, Hopper brushed past the boy lightly, carrying El into the house. Mike followed closely after, not wanting to let El out of his sight.

As soon as Hopper had set her frail body onto the couch, Mike was right by her side. He held her hand tightly as he knelt on the side of the couch.

There wasn't much of a response back from El considering how exhausted she was, but he could feel the tender touch and squeeze of her fingers against his.