fireworks

a/n: hey guys! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a month. after watching season three of stranger things, I really just didn't know what to write. I didn't know where I should go with this considering how the season ended. I can't promise I'm going to be active like I used to be because I really just don't have any ideas or have any idea on how to write for mileven after season three.

this oneshot is basically what we could've gotten if we actually got the "summer of love" we were promised. what we would've got if mike and el could just be happy. what we would've got if max hadn't had such an influence on el.

there are certain things that I didn't like about this season and I would be willing to share if you guys would like. if you guys want a chapter where I answer your questions about my opinions on st3 or just questions in general, then feel free to let me know here and comment some questions:)

anyways I hope you enjoy this "what could've been" oneshot and please check the a/n at the bottom for more information.

Main POV

The small, brunette girl sat lonely and quiet on the small couch of her dusty, cabin living room. Her bright, hazel eyes and golden locks standing starkly against the darkness of the room.

The flashes of light from the tv projected onto the walls as the current soap she was watching switched to different scenes. This is pretty much what she did most nights, along with the company of the burley police man snoring in the recliner beside her.

It had been a couple days since Mike and El were caught kissing in her room. She knew that Hopper didn't like it, but she didn't think he would go as far as to threaten her boyfriend.

El had finally given Mike the chance to explain himself after he had lied to her about his nana being sick. When El had talked to Max about it, an unusual choice of person to confide in, it took El a moment to even understand what she was saying.

Did boyfriends really lie all the time? Not her Mike, that's for sure. Max had told her to "dump his ass" however El knew what she wanted, and what she wanted was to be with Mike.

Ever since the young couple was reunited, not only Mike, but El as well were the happiest they had ever been. They finally had the chance to spend time together and be a couple after Mike had finally asked her to be his girlfriend.

It took a little bit of explaining to help El fully understand what these new words meant—boyfriend and girlfriend—and once she had learned, she was even happier.

Mike and El had put the incident behind them after Mike had apologized profusely and promised to never, ever lie to her again. They were happy again, both had missed each other's company.

They had missed secretly kissing in El's room until Hopper would get suspicious and knock on the door. El had missed Mike's dorky singing and his dusting of freckles. Mike had missed El's small giggles and her cuddles.

They just missed...everything.

It was the 4th of July as El continued to sit alone on the sofa. Hopper was put on duty to help watch for stupid kids setting off firecrackers on neighbors porches and throwing parties they weren't supposed to be having.

He wouldn't be home till later that night so that left El alone, not even Mike there to keep her company.

•••

The fireworks started once the sun went down and it became dark enough to see the colorful streaks fly through the sky.

The loud noises startled El.