unexpected

a/n: heyyy it's me...I'm back? look I know this update is unexpected (like the title of this oneshot lol) but I received a comment yesterday on my last chapter and it really warmed my heart and gave me motivation to write today. I started this oneshot literally 2 years ago (8/3/19) and decided to finish it today so here you go. I hope you like it :)

disclaimer: I'm not sure what the timeline is with this oneshot. el and max are friends so that puts it after season 3 but el is still living in the cabin so that's kind of before season 3? + the whole mileven "I love you" thing because they haven't said it to each other yet in this oneshot. how I personally would describe this timing is that it's after season 3 but hopper never "died", el didn't move away with the byers, and everything is back to "normal" so yeah...choose whatever timing you like best lol

It had become a regular occurrence for El and Max to hang out, sometimes having sleepovers at the others house. They spent their time reading through magazines, talking about boyfriends, and watching movies that were entirely too dramatic but perfect for teenage girls.

Hopper wasn't going to be home tonight and El still wasn't the most comfortable with staying home alone after everything that had happened. Considering Max and El hadn't seen each other one-on-one in a while for some "girl time," El decides to invite Max over to spend the night.

The two girls started off their night by eating the pizza that Hopper had brought over to the cabin before he had to leave for work. They decided to stray from their usual rom-com and watch The Karate Kid for a change. Who wouldn't want to watch Ralph Macchio?

Max made popcorn, drenched in entirely too much butter (but also the perfect amount), while El filled the couch with blankets and pillows.

After Max had placed the popcorn in a large plastic bowl, she made her way over to the living room. The heat of the snack slightly burned her hands but she didn't have the patience to wait for it to cool down. She placed the hot bowl onto the coffee table in front of them, muttering a hushed "shit" under her breath.

The girls got settled in under the mountain of blankets that El had formed on the couch. Did Max throw a pillow at El's head for fun? Yes. But did El throw that pillow right back? Of course she did.

They were only a few minutes into the movie when, suddenly, they heard clambering from El's room. Max immediately shot up from the cushions, grabbing the nearby wooden bat that Hopper kept in the corner of the kitchen.

El felt the hairs on her arms and neck rise as she played over a million different scenarios in her head. Was it the bad men? Some type of intruder or monster? Somehow the evil had found its way back into her life and she wasn't ready to fight it.

They both slowly crept their way towards El's bedroom door, Max flicking the hallway light on quickly before moving any further. Max stood in front of El protectively. She may not have telekinesis but she wasn't going to let another person she cared about disappear from her life.

Max slowly pushed open the creaking bedroom door, El's honey eyes timidly peeking over the redhead's shoulder. The first thing Max noticed was that the window was open, her eyes traveling across the room worryingly.

The light of El's lamp illuminated the room just enough for Max to recognize the mop of dark hair and long limbs that had crawled into El's room and fallen to the floor.

Max let out an amused chuckle as she allowed the bat to drop from its defensive position in front of her. Confusion rushed to the forefront of El's mind and she stepped aside to peer past Max.

"What's so fun—" El was cut off when she saw Mike stumbling to his feet to stand awkwardly in the center of her room.

His feet stagger as he tries to stabilize himself and he can't help but blush at the fact that he had been caught. This time not by Hopper, but by Max. She was never going to let him live this down. Shit.