drive

a/n: here's that longer chapter I was talking about last week. I hope you guys like it! I really liked this idea and I hope I wrote it well. I'm sorry if it jumps around too much. I really tried to make it blend together but I guess just tell me what you think:) check a/n at the bottom for more information & how I thought of this!

this whole chapter is in main pov/third person. I've been experimenting with this style of writing but let me know what you like better. main pov or a characters pov:)

Main POV

Mike Wheeler had finally gotten his drivers license. After studying hard to get his permit and taking the test when he turned sixteen, it's finally here.

Mike had been waiting for this day for years. Waiting for that taste of freedom. The feeling of being able to go wherever you want, whenever you want.

He'd been wishing for it in the times where his parents were fighting and he had nowhere to go. He'd been wishing for it when he wanted to spend time with El. He'd been wishing for it in the times where he felt trapped under the pressure of his father and the weight of the events of the past couple of years.

And it's finally here.

Mike's had his license for a little over two weeks and he wanted to take El out. It took some serious convincing from El for Hopper to allow Mike to drive with El in the car. He had finally agreed and Mike was going to take El on a date outside of Hawkins.

Something about driving with El—hands locked over the center console, music playing lightly through the stereo—felt domestic. It felt like the future. Their future.

Mike loved that feeling.

He took her to a little diner outside of town, feeling it was only right that he take his girlfriend somewhere new now that he could drive. They ordered burgers and fries, and shared a strawberry milkshake. El's favorite.

They continued their journey to the mall, the next town over, with a movie theater inside. They watched a movie that had recently come out and when it was over, started their drive back home.

When they arrived to the cabin, it was already nearly midnight. Hopper said that Mike could sleepover, instead of driving home this late, as long as he stayed on the couch.

Much later in the night, Hopper had left for work and Mike remained on the couch until he heard something.

It started with a single thump. Then a crash, and then her voice.

The tile floors felt cold against her bare feet. That's the first thing she noticed. The second was the strong grip on both of her arms. And then the silence.

The lab had always been El's greatest fear. That it would come back and bring the monsters with it. She was scared of it. She was scared of Papa.

She was brought into a room. The only sound audible being the thrashing of her body. She tried to get away, she really tried.

She was placed in front of a man. In front of Papa. "Bring out the boy." he said as his cold voice echoed throughout the room.

A tall boy was brought out with a bag over his head. The mysterious boy was being dragged by two men, each holding one of his arms.

El could hear glimpses of the boys voice. It sounded familiar, but she was hoping it wasn't who she thought it was. It couldn't be him, right?

She was still down on her knees. The men had let go. She knew that if she tried to run, there would only be worse consequences.

"Eleven, I want you to open the gate." Brenner says. "No. I'm not opening it again." I say. "Eleven, you will do as I say." he says coldly. "No." she replies.