comfort

a/n: sorry this short and it sucks. I haven't been in the right mindset to write but I wanted to get something out for you guys. this is kind of a sad one. it's been a sad couple of days for me. check a/n at the bottom for more info.

Main POV

There were times where Mike Wheeler was sad. Everyone experiences the feeling of sadness and wanting to disappear, Mike just happened to feel it more often than others.

It wasn't all the time but there definitely were days where he didn't want to talk to anyone and just wanted to stay in his room all day.

It was usually on the days where he was overwhelmed and drowning in school work. The days where his dad lectured him about how he needed to be more athletic and stop playing in the basement all day.

The days where he felt he wasn't enough.

He knew deep down that his dad wasn't right. He knew that there were people that loved him and wanted the best for him, but it was hard when his mind was telling him otherwise.

The sadness was like a dark cloud. It looms over him heavily and dampens his mood. Some times the cloud swallows him whole and he can't make his way out of the fog.

Today the cloud was his parents fighting. Mike always knew that his parents weren't actually as happy as they put out and they were only staying together for the "sake of the kids."

He knew they didn't actually love each other and he was honestly surprised that they hadn't broken it off yet. That's why it was no surprise that they were fighting.

The screaming and shouting echoed throughout the house. Tonight it was especially bad. Mike had already been feeling sad but this just made it worse.

There was always one person Mike could count on to bring him comfort. He knew this one person would never hurt him purposely and that he could always turn to them in tougher times like these.

Nothing compared to the sadness Mike felt when El was gone for three hundred and fifty three days, but now he faced worse. Now El was back and she was the one thing that brought him true happiness.

He drove in the dark of the night. The tears silently streamed down his face with nothing but the sound of the passing trees. His vision was getting blurrier as he drove, water welling up in his eyes.

Luckily Mike had made it with not a scratch on his body, but maybe in his heart. He walked up to the door, lightly knocking. Mike knew tonight Hopper wasn't there.

When El opened the door the tears were still streaming down his face. He didn't say anything. All he did was stare at her as the water continued to flow.

"Mike?" El asks in a worried whisper. "Are you okay?" she questions as she takes a slow step toward him. He shakes his head as he finally breaks. Mike let's out a loud sob and El immediately pulls him into her embrace, shutting the door with her mind.

Mike wrapped his arms tightly around her waist as he cried into her neck. She wrapped her arms his neck tightly as she smoothed down the hair at the nape of his neck.

"I'm sorry." he sorrowfully whispers out. "You have nothing to be sorry for. You did nothing wrong." she replies as a tear falls down her face. She couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Mike was in pain.

"Was it the fighting again?" she asks in a hushed whisper. He simply nods his head into her neck as he continues to breathe raggedly.

El understands how his parents fighting affects him. She understands why he's crying. "I love you." she says quietly. "I love you too, so much." he quietly cries.

El held him there and she would for as long as he needed. Mike was always there for her and she was going to be there for him. She would always be there to love him and assure him how much he meant to her. She would always be there to comfort him.

"You're okay. You're safe now."

word count: 656
a/n: hope you enjoyed I guess. sorry this is sad I just didn't have any ideas and I've been feeling kind of down lately. I still wanted to post something for you guys so here you go. please vote for this chapter and remember requests are always open. I love you guys<3