better

a/n: hey guys! I finally had an idea for a oneshot! I actually learned how to ride a skateboard recently and it inspired me to write this. the chapter was originally titled 'skateboard' but I didn't really like that name so I changed it to what it is now. you'll understand at the end of the chapter;) anyways I hope you enjoy and please check the a/n at the bottom for more information!!

as I've said before, I've been enjoying writing in main/third person pov so this whole chapter is written in this way. I hope you don't mind:)

Main POV

It was finally summer and the party was spending their day outside of the Wheeler house in the warm weather.

Will had gotten a new bike for Christmas from Joyce and Hopper, and he brought it over to show everyone else. The boys were spending their afternoon riding bikes in the street. Racing each other up and down the asphalt.

However, Max preferred riding her skateboard and El didn't have a bike yet. Whenever the party rode around town or used their bikes to get around, El just rode on the back of Mike's bike. Neither of them minded. In fact, they both enjoyed it.

Due to this, El was spending her time with Max when the redhead offered to teach her how to skateboard. El was hesitant at first, not sure if she would be good at it or if she would get hurt. However, she agreed.

"Okay, so I'll hold your hands while you step on the board." Max explains as she grabs onto El's hands. El takes in a deep breath before she slowly steps on the board.

"Okay, now what?" she asks quietly. "Now, just spread your feet apart—yeah like that—and bend your knees a bit." Max instructs as El does her best to follow along.

El shifts her feet on the board, getting a feel for the stance, when tires come riding up on the street next to them. El turns her head to look at who had stopped by them.

Eyes are met. Hazel on brown.

"Hey, El. What're you doing?" Mike greets as he slows his bike to a stop. A smile grows on El's face as she looks at her boyfriend. "Max is teaching me how to skateboard!" she exclaims excitedly.

"Okay, um, cool. Just stay safe." he says with a bit of worry in his voice. "Relax, Wheeler. I've got her." Max interrupts. Mike sends a quick glare her way, but quickly wipes it off of his face and smiles back at El.

"Okay, good. Well the boys and I are just going to be over on the front lawn, so if you need anything...." Mike says leading off. "Okay." El replies with a smile.

Mike places a quick kiss to her cheek before he is riding away. El blushes and Max can't help but roll her eyes at how sickly sweet they are.

Max and El get back to what they were doing and Max helps El ride down the road a couple of times while she holds her hands. After a few times of guiding El down the street, Max convinces her to try it on her own.

"Okay, I'll give you a little push and then you'll be on your own." Max explains as El nervously steps onto the board. "Okay." El replies shakily.

Once El is situated on the board, Max gives her a small push. El starts off pretty steady, her nerves going away quickly, until she starts to pick up speed.

The speed of the wheels against the road increases quickly, and El becomes scared. She doesn't know how to slow down and she now realizes that it would've been an important thing to know.

Suddenly, El is losing her balance and the next thing she knows, she's falling forward and off of the board. El lets out a loud squeal and does her best to catch herself with her hands, but one of her knees skids painfully on the ground.

Mike hears El's panic and immediately is running towards her. He sees her sitting in the road, crying, and now he's running even faster towards her.

The board is long forgotten and El continues to cry in pain. As soon as Mike reaches El's eyesight she is calling for him. "Mike!" she lets out in a whimper, as the tears follow freely down her face.

"El! Are you okay?" Mike asks worriedly as he quickly kneels down in front of her. "It hurts." she lets out in a cry as Mike examines her hands, now beat up from hitting the ground so roughly.

"Why didn't you use your powers to stop?" he asks as he tucks stray curls behind her ear. "Hopper said not to use my powers in public." she explains as she sniffles.

By now the whole party has come to the scene and surrounds the couple. El continues to cry and it breaks Mike's heart to see her in so much pain.

"Come on. Let's go get you cleaned up." he says as he suddenly lifts her up bridal style. He holds her close to him, as if to keep her safe, as she hides her face in his neck. Her tears wet his skin and leave it sticky, but he doesn't care.

Mike moves as fast as he can to get her into the house. He carries her through the front door and up the stairs to the bathroom. He sets her down on the closed toilet seat, and reassures her that he will be back.

Mike searches frantically around the house for a first aid kit and as soon as he finds one, he is rushing his way back to the bathroom.

Once he reaches the room, he kneels down in front of El and sets the kit next to him. El's tears have slowed as Mike searches through the kit for the supplies he needs.

He pulls out a disinfecting wipe and starts to open the packaging. Luckily El was wearing loose pants so it wasn't too hard to roll them up. El stares lovingly down at the boy as he takes care of her.

"This is gonna sting a bit." he says. He first wipes her hands, El wincing lightly in pain. Then he moves onto her knee. This is a much bigger wound and as soon as the wipe makes contact with the skin, El lets out a whimper in pain.

"I'm sorry, baby." he whispers as he finishes cleaning the scrape.

He sets the used wipe down and uses both of his hands to cup her face and wipe her tears away. He bites his lower lip thoughtfully as he continues to stroke her cheeks.

Mike stops his actions to finish bandaging her scrapes and cuts. He finally places a bit of healing ointment on a large bandaid and places it over her knee.

Mike then lightly grabs her hands, placing tender kisses to each palm and finally placing a soft kiss to her bandaged knee. A soft smile grows on El's face as she stares at him in awe, admiring his kindness and care.

After Mike throws away all of the wrappers, he helps her off of her seat. He gently grabs her hands as he helps her stand up. She limps slightly on one leg as she stands up and pulls herself closer to Mike.

El wraps her arms tightly around Mike's waist as she presses her face into his chest. He places one hand lightly on her hip as he uses the other to smooth down her hair.

El takes deep breaths to calm down and eventually pulls away. Mike's hand falls to join his other at her waist and she moves one of her hands to lightly grasp onto Mike's neck, her thumb resting lightly on the space between his jaw and ear.

El's heart is suddenly filled with love for this sweet, caring boy in front of her and she presses her lips tenderly to his. He kisses back softly before they both slowly pull away.

Their foreheads rest lightly against each other's as El strokes Mike's jaw, his fingers drawing mindless shapes on her hips, just happy that she's safe.

El opens her eyes to connect with his deep, ebony eyes that she wouldn't mind drowning in. He stares back at her intently.

"Thanks for kissing it better."

word count: 1316
a/n: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I'm so sorry this didn't go out the day it was supposed to but my stupid math teacher gave us a one hundred question packet over spring break so I was doing that all day. I finally got around to writing this but not till very late at night and I could've uploaded it really late but instead I decided I would upload it the next morning. anyways requests are always open and please vote for this chapter! thank you for all of the love and support recently! I love you all so much and it is appreciated:)