butterflies

a/n: thank you guys so much for 700 reads! I've had this idea in my notes for a while and I'm finally writing and posting it! I hope you guys like it and let me know what you think! check the a/n at the bottom for more info!

El's POV

Being with Mike makes me feel something. Every time he holds my hand or hugs me. Every time he presses a kiss to my lips or we touch at all, I feel something in my stomach. Even just being around him gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling and it's only with him.

The feeling is kind of like what it feels like when I'm nervous. Like when I went to close the gate or when I walked into the gymnasium for the Snow Ball. But why would I be nervous around Mike?

I don't understand why I would be, I know I'm safe with Mike and there is nothing to worry about. Nancy once told me, when she helped me get ready for the dance, that I could come to her if I ever had any questions about girl stuff or just about life in general.

I was planning on going to Mike's today and I decided that I would ask Nancy about this new feeling.

Hopper dropped me off in front of the Wheeler's home like usual, waiting to leave until somebody opened the door.

I knocked on the wood of the door, waiting patiently for somebody to open it. A few seconds later, the door swung open to reveal Mike. He was wearing his usual corduroy pants with a striped shirt and a navy blue jacket. His hair was slightly curly to my surprise.
It's been doing that lately.

"Hi, El." he said with a soft smile on his face as he held the door open for me. "Hi, Mike." I reply giving him a small smile. "So I was thinking we could watch a movie in the basement. Maybe pop some popcorn?" he says happily as he shuts the door. "Yeah that sounds great!" I say back.

"Okay well how about you go down and pick a movie and then I'll get the snacks?" he says. "Actually, I needed to talk to Nancy about something." I say. "Oh, okay. I'll get everything ready and I'll just be down in the basement." he says with a smile. "Okay! See you soon!" I shout, running up the stairs.

After walking down the hallway, admiring the adorable pictures of Mike as a baby hanging up on the wall, I reach Nancy's door. I was taught that you should always knock first, so I did. I left a light knock on the door, waiting for a reply.

"Mike, go away! I'm busy." she yells through the door and I can already tell she's rolling her eyes. "It's El!" I shout back. After a bit of shuffling from Nancy, she opens the door.

"Oh, hey! Sorry, El. I thought you were Mike annoying me about how his outfit looked again." she explains. At that I let out a giggle with a small blush rising on my cheeks. Mike really wants to look nice for me?

"Anyways, what's up?" she asks as she lightly grabs my wrist. She pulls me into her room, shutting the door behind us. I admire the room for the second time.

I've always wanted a room like this. All pink and soft, covered with photos with friends and little nicknacks. We both sit down, Nancy lifting one leg to rest under her chin as she looks at me.

"I wanted to talk to you about...a feeling." I say a bit nervously. "A feeling?" she asks. "What type of feeling? Can you tell me what it feels like?" she continues.

"Well, it's like this warm and fuzzy feeling. I get it in my stomach and it kind of feels like when I'm nervous, but it's not a bad feeling. It's more of a good and fluttering feeling?" I say slowly and carefully, making sure I'm using my words correctly.

"Can I ask you a question?" she voices out. "Sure." I say. "Do you get this feeling when you're around Mike?" she asks. A small blush comes to my cheeks as I nod my head. "Whenever he holds my hand or hugs me, also when he kisses me. Sometimes even when I'm just arou—"

"Mike has kissed you?!" she says excitingly as she drops her leg from under her chin and sits up a bit straighter. I look to her embarrassed as I nod my head once again. "At the Snow Ball...and a couple other times." I say, the latter in a whisper.

"Anyways, back to what we were talking about! You said it feels fluttery?" she questions. "Yes." I say. "Well, El. That feeling you're feeling is called butterflies." she explains.

"Butterflies? There are butterflies in my stomach?" I ask a bit concerned. "Well, no. It's just an expression for the feeling. You usually get butterflies when you're around someone you like. Sometimes you do get them when you're nervous but I think this is the other kind." she says with a knowing smile.

I take a minute to take in all of this new information. "Okay...Well I should probably get going. Mike's waiting for me." I say as I stand up off her bed. "Okay, see you later, El." Nancy says as she follows me to the door. "Thanks, Nancy." I say before she shuts the door. "No problem, El. Glad I could help." she says with a smile.

We wave each other one last goodbye before I made my way to the basement. I walked down the creaky wooden stairs, coming to face Mike as he sat on the couch waiting for me.

"Hey, El. How'd it go with Nancy?" he asks as he waits for me to sit down. "Good." I say as I sit down next to him.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask him as I look into his deep brown eyes, grabbing his hand. "Yeah, what's up?" he says as he turns towards me more, resting his arm on the top of the couch.

"Do you feel it too?" I ask as I play with his fingers. "Feel what?" he asks. I look up to make eye contact with him. "The butterflies." I say as I look back down to our hands.

A few seconds of silence pass by before he answers. "Yeah, I do." he says as he continues to look at me. "Really?" I ask hopefully as I raise my head to look at him. "Yeah. All the time." he says with a small smile and a rosy blush crawling up his neck. "Me too." I say with a smile and a similar blush coating my cheeks.

We both lean in to press a short and sweet kiss to each other's lips. We both pull away with lovesick smiles on our faces. I immediately tuck my legs up onto the couch, curling into the warmth of his side.

He wraps an arm around my shoulders and an arm around my waist as I wrap both arms around his torso, nuzzling into his touch.

We spent the night watching 'Sixteen Candles', a movie he chose because he knew I loved it. While we ate popcorn and sipped on some sodas.

I'm happy we both felt the butterflies.

word count: 1166
a/n: well there's a fluffy one for you! I hope you guys enjoyed and let me know what you think! thank you for reading and thank you again for 700 reads! it is very much appreciated! this book is updated every tuesday and requests are always open!