freckles

a/n: hey guys! sorry this update is a little bit later than usual. I've been super busy with school but I hope you still enjoy it! I would like to give you a fair warning that this isn't my absolute best work but hopefully it will do for now! check a/n at the end for more info!

El's POV
(after closing the gate)

I woke, blinking my eyes open. I didn't recognize where I was. Where am I? What happened? Am I still in Chicago? Was it all a dream? Was Mike a drea—Mike! I didn't notice the weight around my waist before. But now that I'm awake I can feel it. I take in my surroundings. I'm in the Byers' home. I'm safe.

I turn to my left to see Mike. We are both laying on our sides, facing each other. He is still sound asleep. I can feel the warmth of his breath on my face. I take in his appearance. He's still wearing the same clothes as before. However, they look really dirty. They look like they're covered in dirt. I'll have to ask him about that.

He's much taller than he was last year. Hopper taught me about how when you are a kid you grow. And Mike grew a lot. He's so tall and I have to rise a bit on my tiptoes just to give him a proper hug. I actually like how tall he's become, it makes me feel safe and I'm sure he'll grow even more.

His face is so...pretty. I know that's a word usually used for girls but it's the only word that fits. He's gotten sharper features over the time we were apart. His high cheekbones and sharp jawline more visible now. I've got to admit, he's very handsome.

Look at those eyes. Although they are not visible to me at the moment, they exist as orbs of dark chocolate, depth so deep I could drown myself in them. They sparkle like the night sky, filled with millions of stars. Speaking of stars...look at the pretty little stars on his face.

They can't be stars though, can they? They remind me of them. They light up his face as the stars would light up the sky. All I can say is that they are very pretty and I hope they never go away.

I wonder how many stars he has. Does he have millions like the night sky? These are the thoughts running through my head as I start to count them. I use my finger to help me keep track of my place. I lightly touch each little star, content with counting the little dots on his face.

Mike's POV

I wake up to light touches on my face. What is touching my face? I slowly, very slowly, squint my eyes open. Leaving them somewhat shut, I take in the beautiful sight in front of me. I can't believe El is back. El is back and she's safe. El is back and we can be together.

But what is she doing? She's lightly poking my face. I then notice she is very softly whispering...numbers? I can't help but stare in awe. She's just so adorable and I never want to look away.

She still hasn't noticed I'm awake, so I use the arm I have placed around her waist to pull her body closer to mine. If that's even possible. She still makes no move, so focused on counting.

I fully open my eyes and that's when she notices I'm awake. Her hazels meet my browns and she lets out a small gasp.

"Hey." I whisper with a small smile on my face. I still can't believe she's here. She's really here. "Hi." she whispers back, slowly bringing her pointer finger away from my face.

Her cheeks gain a slight blush and she looks away, embarrassed. "What were you doing?" I ask sweetly. "I was counting your stars." she tells me softly. "My stars?" I ask incredulously. "Your stars. The stars on your cheeks." she explains, brining her hand up to trace over my cheeks once more.

Does she mean my freckles? "My freckles?" I ask a bit confused. "Freckles?" she asks with an amazed smile on her face. "Yeah. Those dots on my face, they're called freckles."

"Pretty..." she whispers, tracing her fingers lightly over the dots. I let out a chuckle. "I never really liked them that much." I admit truthfully. I always thought they made me look even worse. Even more like a nerd.

"What? Why, they are...amazing." she asks, finding it unbelievable that I don't like the dots scattered across my cheeks. I let out another small laugh. Who would've know she would be so passionate about freckles.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by El's sweet and soft voice. "I want some." she states firmly with a pout on her face. She's so cute. "Well I'm sure you will get some eventually." I tell her hopefully.

"When?" she demands, quite softly. "Well I get a lot of them in the summer. The sun brings them out." I explain. "Maybe you'll get some next summer." I say. I'm not tying to raise her hopes that she'll be out of hiding, but if she isn't free to be out of the cabin by summer, Hopper and I are going to have to have a chat.

A smile appears on her face. She seems content with that answer. I can't get over how pretty she is. After all this time, she's still the amazing, beautiful, strong girl I've known since that week in 1983.

"El?"
"Yes?"
"I'm happy you're home."
"Me too."

word count: 877
a/n: hope you guys liked this chapter! once again, sorry it's coming out later than usual. I've just been super stressed and busy with school. also I'm sorry this isn't my best work. once again I've just been super busy so it's hard to find time where I can just sit down and write, and focus on the words and context.
requests are always open!
please vote for this book!