happy new year

a/n: happy new year guys! still freaking out about that picture above;) I don't remember if I said thank you for 300 reads sooo thank you and further more thank you for 400! I really appreciate all of the love and support on this book. anyways I just wanted to post this short little oneshot in honor of the new year! hope you enjoy and check out the a/n at the end.

Main POV

The whole group was gathered at the Wheeler's house for the annual New Years party. Everyone was there—Hopper, Joyce, Karen, Ted, Nancy, Jonathan, Steve, Will, Lucas, Max, Dustin, Mike, and El—and it was now time for the countdown.

All of them were looking forward to the new year, a fresh start. Putting the past year full of monsters and the Upside Down behind them. Or so they thought. They were all happy to be together and safe. Despite the people they lost in the battle.

They were scattered throughout the house. Some in the kitchen eating snacks and chatting, some in the living room surrounding the tv as they waited for the countdown to start.

"Okay everyone! Please make your way over to the living room! The countdown is about to start!" Karen's voice, filled with excitement, rang through the house. As soon as her voice was heard everyone gravitated to the living room.

Now it was time for the countdown.

"10...9...8...7...6..." as the time lowered everyone made their way to their significant others. Hopper making his way over to Joyce and wrapping a strong arm around her shoulders. Karen walking to Ted in the recliner, regardless of their rocky relationship.

The teens making their way to each other as well. Nancy sitting beside Jonathan and Dustin nearing Steve with Will tagging along. Lucas and Max shyly advancing towards each other. And finally Mike and El, standing near the back of the room, away from the eyes of their friends and family.

"5...4..." the countdown continued as Mike wrapped his arms tightly around El's waist, bringing her body closer to his. She wrapped her petite arms around his neck, drawing their faces closer together.

They were so close their noses were touching, softly nuzzling them together before the countdown ended. "3...2...1...Happy New Year!" everyone called out, celebrating by sharing a kiss with a lover or hugging and high-fiving their friends.

As for El and Mike, they closed the distance between them, pressing their lips together in a tender kiss. It was soft and slow as their lips moved together. After a few seconds they slowly pulled away, letting the kiss linger.

They continued to press their foreheads together after the kiss had ended.

They knew that they would be together no matter what. They weren't going to lose each other ever again because they knew neither of them could endure the pain and heartache of their separation.

"Happy New Year, El."
"Happy New Year, Mike."

What a great start to the new year.

word count: 402
a/n: I know this was really short, especially compared to my other oneshots but I just wanted to post this to honor the new year and to start the year off right! I go back to school tomorrow which I'm not happy about but I can't wait to write more this year. anyways I hope you enjoyed and please vote for this book! requests are always open and I update every tuesday!