sweater

a/n: this one shot is inspired by a fic I saw on ao3. it was super cute and I wanted to make one like it. hope you enjoy this major fluff! also check the a/n at the bottom for info on update schedules and more!

Mike's POV

I loved the days I got to spend with El. Just the two of us. We could be all "lovey dovey" as the party would say, without all of their teasing. I could tell El how beautiful I thought she was without the boys making fun of me.

Usually on these days me and El like to watch movies, eat eggos, and cuddle. Thats exactly what we are doing today. We were watching 'E.T.' when El got up and said she would be right back.

I paused the movie and patiently waited for her. I wonder what she was doing. Probably using the restroom. I continued to wait when I heard a thud. I assumed it was nothing until I heard it again. Thud. I continued to hear it, that's when I was worried.

I ran up the stairs as fast as I could, in the direction El went. I finally found the room the thuds were coming from; my room.

El's POV

Me and Mike were having a just us day. These days are my favorite. I was cuddling on the couch with Mike, watching  'E.T.' This had become one of my favorite movies over the summer, when Mike and the boys had shown it to me.

Despite Mike's warmth, that always kept me cozy, it was an extremely cold day. That's when I excused myself. I headed up to Mike's room with one thing in mind. The sweater.

I continuously looked through Mike's closet, hanger after hanger. And I could not find it. I had one specific sweater in mind. I had seen Mike wear it multiple times in the void over our separation, so I know it has to be somewhere.

I finally realized that I hadn't checked the shelf above. I looked up, scanning my eyes over the pile of clothes. I finally spotted a piece of fabric, the sweater.

I'm not very tall, I know that for a fact. My only option was to jump. I tried one jump and I still couldn't reach. I continued to jump, each time missing the fabric.

I was still jumping, when Mike walked in.

Mike's POV

I walked into my room to see El standing in my closet, jumping and reaching for something. I walked further into my room, planning to ask El what she was doing.

"Hey, El. What are you doing?" I asked and she turned to me with a pout on her lips. The cutest pout I had ever seen.

"I want it." she said simply.
"You want what?" I asked. Still confused as to what she was asking for.
"The sweater." she replies, pointing to the pile of clothes at the top of my closet.
"Which one?" I ask, reaching up.
"The one with...with the..." she says not knowing the word.

She steps towards me, and looks up to me for approval. Still a bit confused as to what she's about to do, I simply nod my head. She steps closer and brings her pointer finger up to my chest.

She starts tracing zigzags and lines across my chest. I now understand what she is talking about. She's talking about patterns.

"You mean patterns?" I ask.
"Patterns?" she asks tracing her fingers in a zigzag one more time.
"Yeah, those markings. Those are called patterns." I explain to her.
"Then, yes." she says confidently. "The one with the patterns."

I reach up looking for a sweater with patterns. Suddenly I spot a piece of fabric, with the patterns El is talking about. Why would she want this one? It's that ugly beige sweater, with the zigzags on it. My mom had bought it for me the Christmas of 1983. Since then, she has been forcing me to wear it at least once a month.

I pull the sweater down, holding it up for her. "You want this one?" I ask.
"Yes!" she says excitedly, reaching for it with her little, eager hands.
"Why would you want this ugly thing?" I ask confused. Slightly pulling it away.
"It's not ugly! And because it's soft and it smells like you!" she exclaims. "Please, Mike!" she says, extending out the word 'please.'

Hearing those words come from El warms my heart. It's adorable how she wants to wear my clothes, and it's especially cute when she's begging for me to give her the sweater. Definitely using her signature puppy dog eyes that I already know she uses on Hopper to get whatever she wants.

A small smile comes to my face, "Okay." I say, gently handing her the much desired piece of clothing. She immediately grabs the sweater out of my hands, slipping it over her dainty body. It musses her curls a bit, making her just that more adorable.

"Ready?" I ask with an incredulous smile on my face. "Yep!" she replies, bouncing on her feet with a bright smile on her face. I reach out to intertwine our fingers, to which she gladly accepts, lacing her small fingers with mine.

We made our way back down stairs, returning to the couch. We resumed cuddling, her back against my chest. I gently wrap my arms around her waist, feeling the soft wool slide against my fingers. I nuzzle my face into her soft head of curls, always smelling of vanilla and lavender. She scoots closer to me and we finish watching our movie.

I can only hope for more days like this.

word count: 873
a/n: hope you guys enjoy this one shot. it's a little bit shorter than my last, but I think this is about the size most of the one shots will be. (with some longer ones included as well) announcement: I will be updating this book every tuesday, unless something gets in the way. (which should almost never happen. once again: please leave requests! I would love to be able to take suggestions from my readers and make your imagination come to life (hopefully) and remember to always vote for this book!