Chapter 23: 24 years later part 7

Before I even opened my eyes I felt my head begin to throb. I tried to lift my eyelids but I just couldn't.

"(Y/N)? Can you hear me?" I hear a voice ask frantically in the distance.

My lips feel like they're made of sandpaper and my mouth was sucked free of all it's moisture. As I tried to speak all I could manage out was a dry cough. Someone grabbed my hand, my body being too weak to move my head to see who it was.

"We need a brace" the voice says.

"Wha-" I was able to finally get out.

I swallowed and my throat ached as I tried to regain my senses.

"(Y/N)?"

I opened my eyes to see a man standing above me, his hands holding either side of my head.

"Don't move, we're going to help you" he assured me.

I tried moving my eyes around the room but everything seemed to spin.

"Take some deep breaths."

I did as the man instructed and I closed my eyes once again, trying to focus on my breathing.

I felt something go around my neck and a woman's voice.

"We're going to move you onto a gurney now, don't move, okay?" She asked.

I gave her a reassuring look and I tried to prepare myself for more pain. As they rolled me onto a backboard, then onto the gurney  I couldn't help but feel tears to come to my eyes. There was commotion surrounding me. My eyes darted around the room as they wheeled me out of the lobby. People were everywhere, looking on with shocked and worrisome stares. As I could feel tears continue to well up in my eyes the familiar yellow jacket appeared from behind the crowd. My heart felt like it had fallen out of my chest.

"I-I-" I began to panic. "No-no"

"Ma'am it's okay" the paramedic tried to comfort me.

"No!" I began to sob.

The last thing I saw before being loaded onto the ambulance was the little boy in yellow, his arm ripped in two and face ripped to pieces. I squeezed my eyes shut as I continued to sob.
My head began to tingle as I felt my heart rate increase even more. I just about jumped out of my skin as I felt someone touch my hand. Hovering above me was a man, Penny. He starred at me with intense eyes as I felt my breath stop.

"It's okay." Was all he said before it once again, all went black.

***

"She is stable, but will have a long road ahead of her."

Soft whimpers came from my mother and Maggie as they spoke with the doctor. Robert was sitting next to my father on the couch. I didn't say anything, just watched them for a moment as silent tears fell down my cheeks. I felt my feet tingle as I tried to wiggle my toes, but they didn't move. A cough escaped my mouth and everyone turned to look at me.

"Mom?" Robert was the first one on his feet.

"Oh my god, honey!" My mom wiped away her tears as she came to my side.

"What's going on?" I couldn't remember anything.

"It's okay" my mom started to sob as she kissed my forehead.

My dad came up behind her trying to console her as I saw Robert with tears in his eyes, holding Maggie. I stayed quiet, not knowing what to say.

The nurse came into view as she checked my vitals.

"Nurse, what happened to me?"

She looked down at me, then to my family as held her clipboard close to her chest.

"You fell in your apartment complex elevator and hit your head on the corner of a railing" she hesitated, "you fractured your back and damaged your spinal chord." She paused again. "There is a chance you'll be able to walk again, but that will take some physical therapy."

All was quiet again as I tried to process everything. I felt my dad squeeze my hand lightly as I just stared up at the ceiling.

"O-okay" I stuttered out as tears began to flow again.

***

"You have to eat" Maggie pleaded.

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't been hungry for two weeks." She sighed.

I finally opened my mouth as she fed me the hospital soup. Robbie was having a nap on the couch as an episode of the Twilight Zone softly played in the background.

"Alright, Ms." The nurse came in with a wheelchair for me.

She wheeled me down the hall and into the gym. I said my goodbyes to Robbie and Maggie as these sessions were private. I did two hours of physical therapy everyday as well as a hour of counselling. The nurse brought me over to the side as we waited for my doctor.

"How's your day going?" I heard a voice next to me ask.

I looked over to see a man, about my age, sitting by me in a chair.

"Um, fine, thanks. Yours?"

"Could be better."

"Got that right." I sighed.

"I'm Michael" he stuck out his hand.

I hesitantly stuck out my arm, feeling a slight tingle.

"(Y/N)."

"Nice to meet you." He smiled.

I smiled back. It felt nice to meet someone new who wasn't a nurse or doctor... or therapist.