Chapter 17: Night Out part II

We were on our way to a new club that Fran had heard about through a friend. It was supposed to be the hottest spot in Maine and was about half a hour outside of Derry. Matt was driving as Margaret sat in the passenger seat and Fran, Stacy and I were seated in the back. I was looking outside the window, Fran and Stacy were gossiping about something I had no interest in and Matt and Margaret were doing whatever in the front. I looked up to see Matt looking at back at me through the rear view mirror. Before, I knew his eyes were back on the road and I heard him cough. 

   As we all walked up to the building Fran went ahead to talk with one of the security guards. We stood there waiting, then the guard moved away from the door and then let us all pass, skipping the line entirely. The place was busy, people dancing in the middle of the room, rubbing their bodies together and I could smell the alcohol in the air. We got a booth to the side and all sat down.

"Franny, what was that?" Margaret asked, pointing outside.

"Oh-" Fran chuckled, "we, uh, know each other." she winked and we all knew what that meant.

Matt went to go get us drinks at the bar as us girls stayed to talk. Matt arrived back with a drink for each of us and a round of shots. I'm not a big drinker so I decided to take one shot and leave the other drinks alone. I wanted to have a bit of a buzz but was not planning on more than that. The others began drinking their drinks, taking shots and very quickly became drunk. Margaret and Stacy decided to go dancing and Fran went to meet her friend. That left just Matt and I sitting on either side of booth in silence. 

"So, how's it going?" he asked, slurring his words.

"Good." I said. 

It was awkward between us since I only met him once before and all I knew about him was what Margaret had told me, which was a lot actually. I wouldn't have noticed the birthmark on his cheek without Margaret constantly telling me how "cute it was." He shuffled his body onto my side of the booth, almost pressing his side into mine. He took two shots from the tray in front of us and handed one of them to me. I took it, looked at it and then back up to him. He tilted his back, taking the shot and threw the cup behind him. What the hell? I thought. He noticed I hadn't taken mine and looked at me puzzled.

"Why aren't you drinking?" he asked me, his speech even more slurred now. 

"I don't want to." I said firmly. 

"Ah, you party pooper." he said, putting his arm around me.

I began to feel uncomfortable, almost scared. I tried to look at him without making direct eye contact. I sensed he could feel how uncomfortable I was and he moved his other side to my thigh. 

I pushed it off, turning to him, getting ready to yell at him.
"You need to loosen up." he said before grabbing my head and kissing me.

I pushed him away, disgusted and ran off. 

Fran stopped me as she made her way back to the booth, "hey are you alright?"

"No, I need to leave, tell Margaret i'm sorry." I said, starting to sob and running out of the club and into the street.