Chapter 39: Thanksgiving

I was sitting on the floor of the bathroom in my childhood home, it was about 5:00am and I had been awake for a while with morning sickness. I was home for Thanksgiving, having arrived yesterday. I flushed, then grabbed the bucket from the side of toilet, making my way back to my childhood bedroom. It hadn't changed much since I left over a year ago for school, the walls were still a light baby pink, my twin sized bed still had my favourite purple sheets and my white dresser was still covered with stickers. It made me a bit emotional when I arrived yesterday, all the nostalgia and good memories came back to me. Remembering when I was just a sweet, innocent little girl with her whole life ahead of her. 

   I fell back asleep for a bit, waking back up to my clock now reading '7:34am.' I heard rustling downstairs so I put on my slippers and made my way down. My parents were in the kitchen, my dad flipping some pancakes on the stove and my mom pouring some coffee into a mug. 

"Oh there she is!" my mom said, hugging me. 

"Sleep well?" my dad asked. 

"Uh yeah." I lied. 

"Are you excited for tonight? I'm making all your favourite dishes." my mom said, rubbing my back. 

"Oh yay!" I smiled at her.

"The whole family's coming, they're excited to see you." my dad said over his shoulder. 

I sat down at the counter as my mom grabbed me a plate from the cupboard and my dad put a pancake onto it. 

"Coffee, darling?" she asked.

"Oh no, thanks." 

I picked at my pancake, I wasn't very hungry but I knew I had to eat something.

I finished up my pancake then went upstairs to take a shower, I took off my pajama shirt and looked at myself in the mirror, my stomach wasn't much bigger, but I expect you don't really start to how until later on. I turned on the shower and got in, the warm water feeling amazing. 

   It was later in the day and my family was beginning to arrive. 

"Oh my god, (Y/N) how are you?" My Aunt Sara screamed, hugging me. 

I laughed, hugging her back, "I'm good, how are you?"

"Oh Sara give the girl some space" my Uncle Ben said, hanging up their coats.

The rest of the family showed up and before I knew it I was sitting at the kids table at Thanksgiving dinner. It was tradition for me to sit at the kids table, along with my cousins Isla, James and Juliet. I was picking at the turkey and mashed potatoes on my plate, trying my best eat. 

After dinner we were all sitting around the family room, having small talk with a football game playing on the television. 

"So (Y/N), how's University?" my Uncle James spoke up. 

"It's good, was busy the last few weeks studying for exams but I think I did okay." I replied.

"Any cute college boys you got your eye on?" my Aunt Sara asked, shimmying her shoulders. 

My breath caught in my throat and I just shook my head, no. 

"You'll find someone, you're a beautiful, smart, intelligent young lady..." she went on and on. Yes, she was a bit drunk. 

I just laughed. 

"You have to be careful of those college boys, wouldn't surprise me if one of them was the cause of that kids disappearance." Uncle Ben said.   

My face fell and I began to feel nauseous. 

"Such a tragedy" my mom said. 

I got up from my chair, excusing myself and I ran to the bathroom, getting sick. I sat with my chin on my knees, trying to control my breathing. 

I heard a knock on the door, "are you okay, honey?" my mom's sweet voice rang from the other side. 

I got up, opening the door, "i'm not okay, mom" I said as I gave her hug and started crying on her shoulder. 

"Oh honey, is what we were talking about before? i'm sorry." she rubbed my back.

"I'll talk to you about it later." I said, continuing to hug her. 

"You go rest" she said, now looking at me.

She tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and gave me a smile. It was the first time in a long time I felt completely safe.