Chapter 32: Now

It had been a few days since everything went down and all I've done is go to class and sleep. I haven't eaten much but I woke up with somewhat of an appetite so I decided to grab something from the common room. I was deciding on what to have when two armed police officers walked in along with the Dean of the University. Shit. Before I could grab any food I made my way back to my room, looking over my shoulder. I paced my room for what seemed like hours before I got a knock on my door.

I opened it and they were standing there, one holding out his FBI badge."Sorry to bother you miss but it appears one of the fellow students, Matthew Roberts, that lived in this building has gone missing and we are going from room to room to see if anyone has any information on his whereabouts."

"I'm sorry sir, I don't." I squeaked out. I swallowed hard, holding on to the door handle, trying my best to keep myself up right. 

"Did you see him at all on the day of October 5th?" he asked.

"I don't remember seeing him." I shook my head.

"Alright, thank you." the three of them walked away, back down the hall. 

I closed the door and fell to my knees, finally being able to breath. 

   I was now having dinner in the common room with Margaret, she wasn't as upset as I thought she'd be. I could tell she was distraught and worried, everyone was, but she hadn't broken down in my arms or anything like that. 

"I'm just so confused by it all." she said as he picked up a carrot stick and began chewing on it. 

I was poking at my salad, only having taken a few bites in the hour we've been sitting here. 

"Me too" I looked at her briefly, then down to my food. 

"It's probably the same thing that got all those kids, I mean hell, Matt sure acted like one." she scoffed which made me chuckle. 

"I don't know." was all I was able to say. 

   I had to walk by Matt's room on the way to mine, I could see hanging all over his door were cards and flowers. I stopped to look, scanning each card that had an "I miss you" note or "Rest In Peace" written on it. I felt sick and ran to the washroom, throwing up in a stall. I rinsed my mouth out and headed back to my room. 

As 'Endless Love' played out of my record player, I laid in bed starring up at the ceiling, remembering the details of that night. The smell, the sound, the trees and the deer. My thoughts were interrupted as the ringing of my telephone cut through the music. 

"Hello?" I said into it. 

"(Y/N) dear? Oh thank god." my mothers voice said through the other side.  

"Yeah mom, it's me." 

"We got the news about that boy from your school." as she said I closed my eyes, tilting my head back. News travels fast.

"Yeah, it's tragic." I said trying to sound convincing. 

"Are you doing alright, honey?" she sounded so concerned. 

"Yeah." I said now looking down at the floor. 

"You can call us at any time, or you can come to visit." she said so sweetly.

I tried holding back tears but a few slipped out, "thanks mom." 

"Of course." 

As she finished talking I heard the bells, those bells coming the corner. I looked over to see Penny starring at me. 

"I have to go, i'll call you, okay? I love you too." I hung up the phone, wiping away my tears. "That was my mom, she's worried." I said not looking back at him. "How have you been?"

He kept quiet, just standing in the corner of the room. 

"Are you gonna say something?" I said, gesturing to him. 

"Do you want me to be human?" he asked in a flat tone, starring at me with glowing amber eyes. 

"What?" I squinted.

"Do- do you want me to be human?" he said slower. 

I sighed, "I don't want you to be... I don't want to change you. Yes...I would like to see what- what you'd look like, but that's just human, curiosity? I suppose." 

"I've only been a human once before, it was despicable" he hissed.

I looked away, off into the distance out the window. "Is that why you came here? To see if I didn't want you anymore?"

He closed his eyes. 

"God Penny. You were the one who didn't visit me. If it were up to me, I would see you everyday. Every minute I would spend with you if I could." I sighed. 

"That's not possible" he looked agitated. 

"I know... I was just saying." I said, still looking out the window. 

He began to walk over to my bed, then pulled on the string of the balloon that was still attached. 

"It's always been there." I said still not averting my gaze. 

Penny came around and stood in front, I hesitantly looked at him and he kneeled down in front of me. 

"Ok." he said in between his bucked teeth. "Now."