Chapter 3: The Quarry

I woke up the next morning to a loud knock at my door. I sat up, half asleep but fully terrified. I had no idea what to do and my head went to the worst possible outcome...
"(Y/N) wake up." said Margaret from behind the door.

I have never felt so relieved. I got up and undid the lock, opening the door. Margaret stood on the other with a worried expression on her face.

"Hey are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm fine." I lied.

"Really? I'm saying this as a friend...but you don't look so good."

I looked at my body and saw I was still in my workout clothes from the day before and I knew my face was puffy and red. I had stayed in my room all day yesterday after my encounter on the trail. I paced back and forth, sobbing and sweating non-stop. I knew I looked horrible.

"I just had a rough nights sleep" which was a lie as well. I was so exhausted I passed out, even on top of my blanket, which I never do.

"Well are you still up for the quarry?"

I had completely forgotten we made plans the week before to hangout today.

"Oh right yeah let me get ready" I said rushing back into my room to gather my things.

"Ok, also you may just wanna freshen up a bit..." she said trying to sound as nice as possible. "AND WEAR YOUR CUTE SUIT" she yelled walking away.

The quarry was one of my favourite places in Derry. I've made great memories here since I moved to this town. Margaret and I made our way up to the top and I tried my best to not think about yesterday. As we reached the peak I saw Kelly (a friend of Margaret's) Fran (a girl who we knew from our sophomore chemistry class and was sort of my friend) and Harry.

"I forgot they were coming" I thought to myself.

"Hey guys!" Margaret yelled and the three of them turned around with huge smiles on their faces.

I set my beach bag down, laid out my towel and took of my shorts awkwardly.

I was about to sit down when Harry approached me. "Hey got sunscreen?" I turned around to look at him, only to see a cheeky grin on his face. "I'm just kidding, it's only French I'm unprepared for." I chuckled.

We had been at the quarry for a while and I was only one who hadn't gotten into the water yet. "Come on (Y/N) walk on the wild side" Margaret yelled to me from below.

"I'm okay." I yelled back, trying to hide my fear of heights (which I had been doing since we got here.)

Harry was standing on the edge of the rock about to jump off for the millionth when he came over to me and asked "why aren't you getting in the water?"

"It's just not my thing." I said giving a slight smile.

"Are you scared?" He asked leaning into me.

"No" I said unconvincingly.

"Come on its fine, its fun."

"I'm just not a big heights person" I said shyly.

"Ah well... how about I jump down first then I catch you."

"I don't think you could catch me in the water, I'd fall on you." He chuckled.

"Well okay I won't catch you but I'll make sure you don't get hurt. I promise it's lots of fun."

I hesitated but agreed, I mean, how can you resist that grin? I stood up, my legs shaking slightly as I watched Harry jump off the side of rock so effortlessly.

"Alright c'mon" he said as he emerged from the water.

I stood at the edge of the rock, heart pounding. I glanced up across the quarry to take a deep breath. That's when I saw it, the red balloon, floating at eye level with me. I panicked, looked away and jumped.

I hit the water and immediately felt a sense of calmness, I just floated at the bottom for a second before swimming back up. As I was about to reach the surface of the water I felt someone grab my foot from below me. I screamed under water and kicked my foot, making whatever was attached to me let go. I shot my head out of the water to hear them all cheering.

"There you go!" Margaret said happily.

"That was- was fun" I said almost out of breath.