Chapter 18: 24 Years Later part 3

"So it appears here that you've prescribed a medication for depression by your doctor?" The ER doctor asked, looking over my file.

"Yes" I said back.

"How long have you been taking that?" She asked, still not looking up from the papers.

"Um, about a year"

"And you're seeing a therapist?" She asked, finally looking up me briefly.

"Yes I am"

She folded the file back up and adjusted her glasses, "okay, you should be able to go in the morning, the nurse will discharge you then, have a good night." She said before walking away and closing the curtain.

I sat in the hospital bed alone, staring up at the ceiling. Robbie and Maggie had been by to see me earlier but since visitor hours were over until morning, I was left by myself. I adjusted slightly in the bed, making sure not to disturb the 13 stitches that lined the back of my head. I winced slightly as I tried to find a comfortable position. The bruising on my back and butt didn't help much either...

I heard some rustling coming from another bed and a curtain opening. I shared the room with 3 other patients and all that was separating us were the green curtains. I heard the washroom door open and close then all was quiet again.

I managed to fall asleep for a few hours before I was woken up from throbbing pain in my head. I called the nurse, asking for more pain killers. Afterwards, the nurse left and I could feel the pain subside as I started to relax again. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall, squinting my eyes to try to see the time. The only source of light was coming from the hallway through the cracked door and I was just able to make out '2:34am'. I closed my eyes, taking some deep breathes, trying to go back to sleep. As I slowly drifted back to sleep a high pitch scream filled the room. I jolted awake in a state of confusion and shock. Suddenly sounds of feet came rushing into room and the door opened fully. My eyes went wide trying to adjust to the light. I heard a few people come into the room and open the curtain beside mine. Multiple people started talking at once as the woman stopped screaming. I was wide awake now as I listened, my heart beating out of my chest. A nurse came into to see me, telling me to breathe as my heart rate was spiking.

"It's alright, I bet that gave you a bit of fright" she chuckled as she put her hand on my shoulder.

I chuckled too, trying to calm myself down.

"What's happening?" I asked as the commotion continued.

"I'm not sure" she said, shaking her head.

We then heard the curtain open again and a bed being wheeled out of the room, followed by footsteps.

***

"Easy does it" Robbie said as he helped me into the passenger seat of his car.

"I feel like I'm 80 years old" I said, causing him to chuckle.

We got back to my apartment slow but steady. My head wasn't hurting too badly as the pain medicine the doctor prescribed was quite strong. I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was lay down in my own bed. We got off the elevator, Robbie carrying my bag behind me as I opened the door. We walked into my room, setting my stuff down and I sat on my bed, trying to bend down to take my shoes off.

"Here I gotcha" Robbie said as he kneeled down.

I wasn't supposed to be moving too much or bending down because all the blood flow could cause me to pass out.

"Okay so, you get some rest and I'll be back later" he said as he laid me down on my pillow.

"You don't have to worry about me" I said, my eyelids getting heavy.

"Your my mom, I'm going to worry about you" he chuckled. "I'll be back in a few hours. You sure you'll be okay?" He asked.

I shook my head slightly signalling yes as I closed my eyes. I felt him give me a soft kiss on the forehead as I drifted off to sleep.