Chapter 14: 17 Years Later part 9

"Trick or treat!" I heard as i opened the door. I smiled as I saw a little cowboy and astronaut stood in front of me with their candy bags open. 

I handed them a couple of candies, then an extra for good measure before they thanked me and walked away. 

I looked over at the clock and sighed as I read the time, '8:45pm.' I sat down on the couch, putting the bucket of candy on the side table before turning the movie I was watching back on. I was home alone, Robbie being at a friends house as Halloween fell on a Saturday this year. I suddenly heard a knock on the door and I got up, grabbing the bucket. I opened the door to find no one there. Kids... I closed the door again, making my way back inside when I heard another knock. I opened the door again to see a little girl, dressed up like a princess. 

"Here you go." I said, smiling down at her, then watched her walk back down the driveway to her mom. I waved and went to shut the door before something caught my eye. I squinted, walking a few steps onto the porch to make sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was. 

A red balloon.

I dropped the bucket on the steps outside before I closed the door, not caring I was only in socks as I made way towards the balloon that was floating on the other side of the road. It started slowly moving down the street and I tried to keep up with it. My heart was racing and I could feel tears begin to well up in my eyes. It felt like I had been following the balloon for forever before it suddenly stopped on the outside of the woods. I crossed the street and I made my way up to the balloon, but before I could get too close, it popped. I jumped back, screaming quietly as I looked around to the few families still lingering in the street. I stood at the edge of the woods, just waiting for a sign. I sighed, giving up, making my way back home. I got back inside my house and took off my now dirty socks. My mind raced as I came out of the laundry room, shutting off the light to my porch, indicating I didn't have anymore candy to give out. 

What the hell was that? 

I huffed as I sat down on the couch. I pressed play on remote, trying to get my mind off of what just happened. 

I must have fallen asleep cause I was woken up to the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. I looked up at the clock, '12:30am.' Robbie soon came inside the house, taking off his shoes. As he turned around I saw his hair was disheveled and his face was white as a ghost. 

"Hey, what's up?" i asked him.

"Uh nothing" he said, making his way back to his room. 

I followed him and before he could close the door all the way, i caught it. 

"Robbie what's wrong?" i asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

He sat down on his bed, his head in his hands as he sighed. I stood there, waiting for him to say something. 

"It's just- we were out in the woods..." he said before pausing, "we were out in woods and something crazy happened." 

"Okay?" i asked, urging him to continue.

"It was like we weren't alone" he said finally, rubbing his face with his hands. 

"Well what were doing in the woods in the first place?" i asked a little more stern. 

"We were just goofing around." he said, finally looking up at me. 

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Mom it wasn't a big deal." he said, getting up to change. 

"Robert, you being in the woods at night is a big deal, to me." I said.

"I know." he said finally, stopping in his tracks. "Mom, it felt like we weren't alone. It felt like- like someone was there but not." 

I sighed, waiting for him to continue. 

"Then we heard this loud pop..."