Chapter 5: 13 years later Part 2

"Maybe you should take him to talk to someone?" Margaret asked concerned.
"I- I don't know, he's been trying really hard, he ended the year with good grades, so I'm happy about that." I shrugged.
We sat on the sidelines of Robbie's scrimmage soccer game. I put him in soccer this year since he's been begging me to play. He was actually pretty good!
Margaret and Esther joined us since they would be coming over after for a 'play date.'
"He's a good kid," Margaret said, almost like she was reassuring me.
I just shook my head.

   "Mom, can Esther and I go outside?" Robbie asked.
"Yes as long as it's okay with Margaret." I replied.
"That's fine, just make sure you wear your hat." Margaret said to Esther.
Margaret and I were sitting in the living room, sharing some iced tea.
"Esther really appreciates Robbie hanging out with her." She smiled.
"Oh, well Robbie always likes playing with Esther. I don't think he even realizes she's only 10." I laughed.
"Yeah it's just, Esther had a hard time making friends this year and I think Robbie hanging out with her really helped her." Margaret said, looking outside.
I looked too, Robbie and Esther were just swinging on our swing set outside.
We both chuckled.
"Why is Esther having a hard time?" I asked, playing with my straw.
"I don't know, she has Amanda but that's about it." She said, taking another sip.
"Well, you were my only friend in college and look how that turned out." I winked.
"Oh!" She said, making me jump. "Fran is getting married."
"Really?" I asked in shock.
"Yeah apparently she met some guy abroad in Venezuela." She shimmied her shoulders.
"Good for her" I nodded.
Maggie went to open her mouth, "Don't-" I said, cutting her off.
"What?" She asked holding her hand and drink up.
"You were gonna say now I'm the last of your friends to be single, blah blah blah" I said, grinning.
She huffed, "let's go check on the kids."
I laughed, getting off the couch.

We walked aside and I closed the door.
"Mom watch this!" Robbie yelled.
I turned around, "okay I'm watching!"
He went back and forth a couple more times before he flew off, doing a backflip in the air. He landed on his feet but fell back onto his butt and he and Esther started laughing.
"Wow!" I said, "just be careful!"
"Mommy, look." Esther said to Maggie. She then jumped off the swing, landing oh her feet, "ta-da!"
Maggie and I clapped.
"Bravo!" She yelled.

"I told you to put on sunscreen!" I said as I applied aloe Vera to Robbie's burnt shoulders.
"I did..." he retorted.
"Well obviously not enough, look at you." I pointed to his red upper body.
Margaret and Esther had left a few hours ago and it was just Robbie and I. I finished up and put the aloe away, "you want to pick a movie?" I asked.
"Sure" he got up, going over to the cabinet.
I sat back down on the couch as Robbie put the movie in.
"What one did you pick?" I asked as I pulled the blanket down and he got under it with me.
"Indiana Jones." He said, grabbing the bowl of popcorn.
Classic, Indiana Jones was his favourite.
"Okay..."

I woke up on the couch, the opening titles of the moving playing. I looked around to see where Robbie was, but I couldn't find him. I got up to check his room and we wasn't there either, I started to panic.
"Robert?" I called out.
I went back out into the living room and into the kitchen, we didn't live in a big house so there wasn't room for him to hide. I went through the kitchen and saw the sliding glass door to the backyard open. I gasped and ran outside onto the porch. I was relieved to see Robert standing outside by the swing set.
I walked over to him, "Robert-" I stopped. His eyes were glowing, a slight golden colour and he was snoring. Sleep walking again.
I carried him back inside and put him to bed, which mind you was not an easy task. Him now being 13 years old and almost taller than me...
I laid down beside him and rubbed his back. I knew he got his eyes from Penny, heck he pretty much got all his facial features from him, but I didn't know his eyes would glow too. With Robert they only do it when he's asleep or concentrating very hard on something and no one really notices besides me.

"Robert, it's time to go are you ready?"

Since it's summer break Robbie comes with me to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My boss really likes him so he lets him stay in the meeting room while he's here. He was reading a comic book and had all his snacks and drinks laid out on the table.
He looked up at me, "yes" he said, packing away his things.
"Mom, can Kelly come over for a little bit tomorrow?" He asked as we got on the elevator.
"If it's okay with her Mom, sure"
"Thank you." He hugged me.
"Uh, you're welcome." I said chuckling.
Kelly was one of the kids who lived in our neighbourhood, Robbie and her had been hanging out a lot this summer   since she moved here in May. She was a very sweet girl and her parents were great people.

Robbie and Kelly were watching TV in the living room, eating the pizza we ordered for dinner and I was putting away my dishes. I heard giggling coming from the living room so I tip toed to peer around the corner. Robbie had tomato sauce all over his face and Kelly was helping him wipe it off, his face was so red with embarrassment, he was so cute. N

We were walking back home after dropping Kelly off at her house.
"So, you had fun today didn't you?" I grinned.
"What?" He asked, laughing awkwardly.
"I'm your mom, nothing goes past me." I said, trying not to laugh.
"What are you talking about?" He asked, not looking me in the face.
"I know I'm your mom and it's embarrassing-" I said waving my hands in the air, "but just know, I'm here, if you ever want to talk."
He finally looked at me for a second, "thanks mom."