Chapter 23: I love you

"Alright," he took a deep breath.
"I have been around since the beginning of time, further back than you can imagine. I can shape shift, to whatever you fear most and I feed off of that fear..." he paused for a moment, contemplating what to say next. "Once I'm done feeding I go to sleep and come back every 27 years."
What?
I couldn't say anything, does that mean when he does feeding I won't see him again for 27 years?
"So... when you eat enough...
people, I won't see you for 27 years?" I was finally to get out, not looking at him.
"Yes. I've done it since the beginning of time."
"Do you find a girl that falls in love with you every 27 years too?" It was a genuine question.
He looked at me, eyes a pale blue colour, almost doll like. He shook his head no.
"I have never." Was all he said.
"Why me then? Why now?"
"You're different. Special." He said, grinning. "You're pretty too."
As if he's never seen someone pretty before...
I decided to drop the subject.
"What else can you shape shift into?"
"Anything."
"Even... a human?"
"I'm sure I can."
I just nodded. I wasn't going to ask him to do it, not yet at least.
"That balloon still hasn't popped, it's been weeks" I said trying to lighten the mood.
"They don't pop unless I tell them to." This made me laugh, causing Penny to giggle.
"I love you." I said, looking him in the eyes.
He looked back at me, blinking slowly, almost searching for something.
"I love you too."

Authors note:
*just wanted to remind y'all that this is my interpretation of the characters. It's cheesy but what can I say...? Haha.*