Chapter 21: The Very Beginning

This chapter is based in the {1950's} in the main characters childhood.

"(y/n) catch!"

I turned around to see a baseball flying towards my face and I ducked out of the way just in time, falling onto my butt.

"Woah, are you okay?" Joseph said as he came over to me.

"Ye-yeah" I managed to get out as I looked up at him.

Joseph was the most popular guy in our grade. His big brown eyes sparkled and his coif hair made him look like a young James Dean. He extended a hand out to help me up and I took it hesitantly. I felt my palms begin to sweat as I stood up so I took my hand from his. I quickly wiped the dirt off of my uniform and looked back up him with blushed cheeks.

"Thanks" I said shyly.

"No prob-" he was interrupted by one of his friends who called him over and he gave a smile before running over to him.

"I thought you were looking" Barb, one of my best friends said as she walked over to me.

"It's okay" I said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

***

We were sitting in class as Mrs. Lockhart read the novel out loud to all of us. I watched her red lips form around each word and her finger push her thick glasses back up her nose. I adjusted myself in the uncomfortable wooden chair and looked out the window to see the rain drops falling down the glass. I sighed as I put my head in my hand and blinked a few times as I tried to stifle a yawn. Suddenly, as I opened my eyes back up I saw a single red balloon floating outside in the courtyard. I lifted my head up and squinted my eyes to get a better look. As I did, it was like time had stop, the sound of Mrs. Lockhart's voice in the background was drowned out and I couldn't take my eyes away.

"(y/n), is everything alright?" I heard Mrs. Lockhart say, making me come out my trance to look over to her.

"Yes" I said, swallowing hard as she began reading again.

I glanced back out the window in hopes to take another look at the balloon, but it was gone.

***

I was walking down the street on the way home from school, kicking a rock along the pavement. My backpack hung on my shoulders and hit the back of my knees as I took each step... I was quite small for a 11 year old.
I was humming along to some Elvis Presley that I heard coming from a car as it drove by me. As I turned around the corner to reach my neighborhood I saw a man walking towards me in the opposite direction. I held onto the straps of my backpack and held my head low to pass by him.

"Excuse me miss?" I heard him say as he stood in front of me.

I looked up at him, he was an elderly gentleman, probably in his 60's, wearing a suit and holding a briefcase.

"Do you know where I can find a pay phone?" He asked, giving me a slight grin.

"There's one on Wilbur Street" I said shyly.

"Oh, do you think you can show me?" He asked.

I swallowed hard, "I'm not going that way."

"Which way are you going?"

I looked up at him once more and as we made eye contact I started to feeling very uncomfortable. He had scrapes and cuts on his face and his eyes kept darting from side to side. I stayed silent as I didn't know what to say to him when suddenly a car came up next to us.

"Everything alright?" A man said as he looked out the window at us.

I looked over to the man in the car, his eyes were much kinder than the mans standing next to me. They were a light amber colour and seemed to have a glow to them. As his gaze switched from me to the man, the look on his changed to suspension and worry.

"He wants to find a payphone" I blurted out.

"Oh is that right? Well I can show you." The man in the car offered to the other.

"Oh- I-I" he stuttered in response. "I wouldn't want to impose."

"Not at all" he smiled. "
"Well you better get going home, it'll be dark soon!" he said to me.

I gave him a small smile as I watched the man get into the car and I began fast walking home. I looked up from my feet as the car drove by and as it did, I was shocked to see a red balloon slowly appear in the back seat.

***
I hope you like this chapter! I wanted to give a little back story and write a chapter about the characters childhood!
More updates soon!

x, purplebookworm