Chapter 9: 17 Years Later Part 4

We both sat there silent for a few moments.

"Let's go inside" I said, opening the door and climbing out of the car.

Robbie followed me as i made my way into the living room. I didn't know what to say, sure i had thought about this day, i'd thought about it a lot, but i still wasn't prepared for it. I sat down on the couch as Robbie sat beside me.

"Honey-" i started before i fell silent again. "I want you to know, before i say anything that i love you and i never have kept anything from you to hurt you."

He nodded as he looked me in the eyes.

"Your father, he's- he's special, he's different." i said, looking over at the corner of the room, trying to figure out what to say next.

"I had you was very young, i was still in college. i was lonely, the only person i had was Aunt Margaret..." i sighed looking down at my hands. "Your grandma and grandpa still lived in my hometown..."

I looked back up at Robbie, his beautiful blue eyes looking into mine.

"I was in a very lonely time in my life when your father came along. He was something that came into my life when I wasn't expecting it but needed it." Tears started rolling down my cheeks.

"You know when you were young and you would get those awful nightmares? You would sleepwalk?" I asked as he shook his head in response.

"Well I think you got that from your father." i said, gulping.

"Your father is not like you and I, he- he was a clown-"

"Wait, what?" Robbie asked, shaking his head.

"Okay, he was a being. A being not like us humans. He was supernatural, magical. He could shape shift." i said as Robbie stood up.

"What are you talking about?" he asked as he shook his head.

I stood up, taking a deep breathe and wiping the tears from my face.

"Are you lying to me? Joking with me?" he asked, his face all scrunched up with disgust.

"No of course not. I would never lie to you." I said, taking a step forward.

"So you're saying my father was some sort of shape shifting clown?" he asked, raising his voice.

"Robert." i said sternly. "Listen to me. I know. It's crazy, it's insane. It doesn't make sense but it's the truth." i said.

He stood there, his mouth open but not saying anything.

"Come with me." i said, grabbing his arm.

We made our way to his room and i opened the door, walking over to the closet.

"Here." i said, finding the little stuffed clown on top of the shelf. "He gave this to me, before you were born, before he left." I handed it to him and Robbie took it.

"This doesn't make sense." he said, shaking his head.

"I know honey." i said back, looking at the stuffed clown.

"Where is he?" he asked after a moment of silence.

"He's gone. I don't know where to... but he only comes back every 27 years. At least that's what he told me." I said, now looking up at Robbie.

"I- I need- I need to be alone." He said before walking over to his bed, facing away from me.

I nodded my head and closed his door behind me as I left the room.