Chapter 20: 24 Years Later part 5

I stood in front of the copy machine for what felt like the millionth time today. I had a mug in my hand and held it tightly to my body as my eyes wondered around the small office. Everyday I was surrounded by the same people, same routines and same drama. I hated drama, always have and never got involved in it personally but word travels fast around here. I watched as our front desk lady Tracey chatted quietly with Brenda, probably about their hatred for the new, young employee, Hannah. I watched as Daniel looked over at Marie every 30 seconds, then, him get up and make his way to the bathrooms, soon followed by her to have their weekly "meeting."

Finally, I grabbed all my paperwork and headed back to my desk, which was situated in the corner, right beside a large window that overlooked the downtown of Derry. I kept to myself and I liked it that way. I was busy working away when my bladder decided to let me know it needed to be emptied. I made my way to the bathroom and did my business. As I was walking back by the kitchen I decided to fill up my coffee mug once again. I stood in front of the machine and could all of a sudden feel eyes on me. I turned around, but didn't notice anyone. I picked up my now full coffee mug and headed back to my desk. I looked over to the row of desks to my right and noticed Florence, one of the senior employees just starring at me. She was stiff as a board and the smile on her face never wavered. I blinked a few times, unaware of what exactly was happening. Then suddenly, she sat back in her desk, never taking her eyes off me until they were blocked by her cubicle. I rushed back to my desk and sat down on my computer. I looked around, making sure no one of importance was watching and I brought up google.

I searched up everything from demonology to shapeshifters. I clicked out of those and was returned back to my desktop. I stared at the screen and contemplated my next search...

'Derry Maine missing children'

As I got deeper and deeper into article after article I was finally brought out of my trance by someone calling my name.

I looked up and quickly exited out of the tab.

"Are you alright?" Brenda asked as she came up to me and handed me some folders. "You're pale as paper."

I just shook my head and gave her the most convincing smile I could muster up.

***

I laid in bed later that night and checked the clock, again.

2:30am.

I sighed, rolling onto my other side and closing my eyes. I had to be up in 4 hours...
I kicked the covers off me, feeling defeated and headed out to the couch. I grabbed myself a glass of water from the kitchen, then snuggled into the blanket and turned on the tv. A rerun of Sex in the City was on so I aimlessly watched it while trying to relax my hyper mind. I kept the volume low, just enough so I could hear it. The soft sound was soon interrupted by a loud siren passing by, the red lights from the fire truck on the street below filled up my living room. My body began to feel heavy and I started to drift off to sleep, finally.

Flashback-  6 months ago. 

I walked back into my room and set a new, empty box on the ground. I stood in front of my closet, deciding on where to start. I hadn't gone through my closet in years, i never went shopping for new clothes for myself and honestly just wore the same things over and over again until they were tattered. I sighed, deciding to get the big ones out of the way first. I started folding and packing all the items of clothing away, dancing and humming along to some music to keep me entertained. I made my way to the back of the closet and my hand brushed up against something, causing a small spark along my fingertips. I jumped in shock but then grabbed and pulled it out. My eyes went wide as the bright cherry red fabric came into view. I hadn't seen the raincoat in years. I put it to the back of my closet, out of sight, when my pregnant belly started getting too big to fit into it comfortably. I held it in both my hands and a lump formed in my throat. All the memories, all the emotions and all the heartache came rushing into my mind and crushed me like a pound of brick. It still had the same musty, college dorm room smell to it even though it hadn't been there for over two decades. A few tears excaped my eyes as I looked at it longer. 

Who would've known that a simple, red raincoat I got when I was 16 would mean so much to me for the rest of my life... 

***
I'm seeing It Chapter 2 as soon as possible so I will update more after that! I can't wait to see what happens especially with Pennywise! (I haven't read the book sorry.) You best believe that I will be seeing it multiple times, a few may be by myself too but I don't even care lol.