Chapter One

We all thought WCKD had been destroyed by the Cranks, Ava Paige was dead. The organisation had been ruined. Or so everyone had thought.

The safe haven was thriving, it had been for months. Every day Thomas and Minho went foraging for food, unfortunately there was one day Minho had injured his foot and couldn't walk. So Thomas walked off towards the abandoned town a little walk away. As Thomas approached the mall that contained a lot of their supplies.

The town had been evacuated, most of it had fallen into disrepair. As Thomas entered the mall through the glass double doors, the hairs on his neck stood up. He had a feeling he was being watched.

Quietly, he made his way towards the sports shop which contained many sports bats and balls, all covered in dust.

Thomas grabbed a wooden bat and swung it around once in his hand, cautiously wandering out of the small store into the hallway of the mall. He heard footsteps, distant but growing closer. Thomas tightened his grip on the bat, holding it by his side.

Once the footsteps stopped close behind him, he pivoted and swung the bat around. There was a cry as the bat connected with something. The silhouette dropped to the floor, holding their head in pain.

There was a second person standing behind Thomas. He spun around and aimed the bat at them. "Come any closer and I'll knock you out!" He warned. A sense of unease fell over him, after all these months there had never been anyone in the town. Not even cranks.

Thomas stared at the man as they stepped into the light of the skylight, Thomas paled as he recognised the uniform. Black gear with the white words W.C.K.D on the front and back.

Thomas shook his head, returning his attention to the man before him. "How are you here? Wicked was  destroyed... In the Last City-" He broke off, a bitter taste burned his throat as he remembered what had happened that night, what had happened to Newt- Thomas broke off his train of thought, knowing now was not the time to dwell on the death of his best friend. Blinking back tears, Thomas waved the bat at the man, "What the hell do you want?! You took everything from me, you can't possibly have anything else you want from me!" Thomas raised his voice in anger. The man remained emotionless, staring at Thomas.

Eventually the man opened his mouth to speak, as something sharp stabbed Thomas in the neck, a sharp needle Thomas realised. The man he had hit with the bat hissed in his ear, "You'll pay for fleeing from Wicked. Remember, Wicked is good..." Thomas opened his mouth to speak, but he couldn't move. His limbs felt like weights. Slowly his eyes closed and he fell unconscious.