"Birds. Lots of birds twittering in the trees and swooping down around us. There's a faint breeze, rustling the leaves. And insects buzzing everywhere."

"What about colourful parrots? And macaws?" I ask, picturing them in my mind. I've always wanted to see the exotic birds up close.

"I guess..."

"Okay, what other animals are around us?" I hope he thinks of the golden spotted puma I see in my mind, and the green tree viper that stands out vibrantly even against the emerald backdrop.

"Chipmunks. They're fighting over an acorn."

"I don't think chipmunks live in the jungle."

"Okay then, chimpanzees. Happy with that, Jane Goodall?" he squeezes my hand and I can hear the teasing lilt of his words.

I grin and let them melt over me like honey. The most powerful scent I feel around me is Malachi's, and I can't get enough of it seeping into my skin and permeating every cell. My senses want to remember this moment forever. "Well, I can see a giant tarantula heading right towards us."

His grip tightens. "A what?"

"A big hairy spider. No big deal. It's just casually walking down the path right behind you." I smirk.

I feel Malachi twist on the bed as if he is really looking over his shoulder. "I see it. It has eight legs!"

"All spiders do," I respond matter of factly.

"These ones are freakishly long! And he's not stopping. Aren't spiders scared of us?" The Alpha's usually deep and rich voice has risen an octave to a thready pitch. His fingers grow slightly clammy between my own, and I hear his heart rate spike with an unusual emotion. He isn't afraid, is he?

"Tarantulas will just keep walking no matter what's in their path. I read about this guy who lay down flat and let one walk right over him. Oh goodness! It's now climbing up your back!" I screech and tug on Malachi, trying not to giggle as he lurches forward. I open my eyes just in time to see his upper body canter towards me, his face pinched with alarm.

I burst out laughing when he falls on me and pushes all the air from my lungs. His eyes fly open and he scrambles up, but I keep my arms wrapped around his shoulders. He flips us so I'm now flat against his chest, and he's staring up at the ceiling.

The frown on his face is severe. "Don't tease me like that! You know I hate spiders."

I control my laughter and try to say in a steady voice, "Come on, it was only imaginary. Don't tell me you suffer post traumatic stress from a little spider when you were younger?" I lay my palms flat against his chest and feel his heart slow down to a manageable speed, but it trips a bit when I move my hands in a circular motion. Who knew I had this much effect on him, the reserved and enigmatic Alpha who holds himself distant from everyone?

"Hey, I got lost in the little imaginary world you spun around me. Never again am I falling for your pranks," he scolds me, but I see the twitching of his lips and know he is trying to hold back a smile. God forbid he enjoy this time with me.

"Just wait till we go camping together. I have a ton of tricks up my sleeve," I bite my lip and watch his eyes darken.

"You better not wear any sleeves then," he says slowly, his voice dropping a notch as his hands slide down my back and settle on my waist. The warmth that seeps through my night shirt is like a paradox, inspiring shivers to race along my skin as my face grows flushed. His fingers gently brush along the hem of my linen shirt, grazing my skin, and my eyes remain lost in his. The azure hues sparkle and glitter, shifting to darker royal and navy shades.