Chapter 10

Stergis stood with with her in front of the library door. Looking to him then turned to the  door and knocked on it.

'Yes?' His trembling voice called out. 

'It's me, Ralvania," She responded in a sensitive tone. 

Ok, come in, please,"  He said with a shaken voice.

Slowly entering the library, illuminated by several white candles circling a huge black coffin; with a grieve- stricken Daniel hanging over the side of it. 

  She could see he had been there for hours, crying endless tears over a sorrow she couldn't begin to understand. She wished she could take his pain away for him. This was a rare occasion where magick couldn't fix it. 

"I came as soon as I heard." 

He turned around, pale and shaking; loking to her with puffy cheeks; blood-shot eyes overflown with tears. 

Instinctively she ran over and held him like a mother, letting him cry the devastating loss out of him. 

She did her best to soothe him, letting a few tears of her own slip away.

"I can't handle this," He said, sniffling.

"I know, that's why I'm here." 

"Thank you, empress." 

After a long pause between the two of them, she spoke up: "Do you need anything?'

"I'm having a witches wake for her tonight, I could use help with it," He said to her. 

What time tonight?' 

The nocturnal hour of magick," He told her.

"Oh, duh." 

"It's fine. Zeta would have wanted you here." He said.

"I'm going to miss her too." 

Daniel hugged her, crying a little more. 

"What do we need to do before the wake?" 

"Setting up chairs and the drink tables.' 

Where are the servants? She asked with a curious look.

"I fired all of them." He said flatly.

"Why would you do that?'

"Zeta is gone and I can wait on myself. I gave them extra pay for it." 

"Ah," She responded.

After the wake will you stay here for a few days?" He asked staring at her.

 "Yes, whatever you need." 

'I'll never forget your kindness. I don't think I should be alone."