Chapter 9

Over the next half hour the empress stayed focused in a deep level meditative trance when  the dragon jolted her soul's quest back to reality. 

"We'll be i the Nucandu forest in about ten minutes," Soranto announced.

"Huh?What?..oh thanks." She responded.

He tilted his head in response and kept flying on; passing another forest and a few small villages until eventually they were in Nucandu territory. A few minutes later the dragon yelled back to her: "We're in warlock country now. I'll take you to the warlock's castle." 

"That would help, thanks."

             He dove around the village and up near the mountains,  mere long hike from her friend's home. Fighting back more tears, she felt grief over Zeta but also extreme pity for her mate. 

As always Soranto gave a perfect landing a few feet from her destination. 

"Thank you. This may take a while, go have a little fun." 

Soranto waited for her to climb down, winked at her the flew off.  Then she turned to the castle, wanting to cry as she could feel the sorrow, anger and grief radiating from within the cold, heart-less grey stone walls. 

Then takig a deep breath , knocked on the door and waited. Moments later Stergis opened it.

"Empress, glad you made it so quickly, come in." 

Nodding to him, then she asked: "What happened?' 

"Zeta's heart just stopped, she was in the library; his favorite room," Stergis whispered. 

"How horribly tragic, my gods is he okay?" 

"What do you think?" He snapped.

"Empress I'm sorry. We're all upset and worried for our brother, I didn't mean it." 

It's understandable. I'm sure he isn't alright at the moment." 

"No he isn't," The warlock said, with a dead serious look.

"Take me to him ," She said with an empathetic look. 

Of course. He's in the Library crying, again." He said, escorting her down the hall. As they walked she could feel his pain shining through the castle.  As they turned the corner a few tears slipped down her cheeks. She hated that fate had destroyed him like this. He was kind and truly had loved her. It was tragic and wickedly unfair.