~ Part 90 ~

"The vampires are up first. Kevin, Elton, Aaron, and Corey. You guys have muscle so you'll be good in a fight against one or maybe even a few. This isn't a movie, more than one will attack you at once." Edward took a few steps back and took up a fighting stance. I wasn't entirely sure what to do while he was occupied with the vampires. My eyes trailed over to the girls sitting on the camp chairs. They had Starbucks drinks and were on their phones whilst also talking. Jade and Cathy followed my eyes and nodded, quietly stepping back from the guys and meeting with me halfway. We walked over to the humans and sat around on the dry grass.

"This whole thing is so insane to me." Katrina said as she put her phone away. She took a sip of her coffee and smiled at me. "But Colby seems happy. In all the time I've known him and Sam, I've only ever seen him smile a few times while he was still human. And never since he's been a vampire." She had a wide smirk on her face as she spoke and she seemed excited in a way. Probably the coffee.

"Yeah, I agree. It's weird. He actually LAUGHS with you. Sometimes I wonder how you do it." Tara also had a little smile on her face but her eyes were focused on her boyfriend, who was listening intently to what Edward was saying.

"I'm just happy for the two of you. You both seem really happy even though we're basically under attack." I flinched at the last bit. Under attack because of me, yeah. I'll never forget that and it truly saddens me. I've put Colby and his entire clan in danger, including the human girls, just because I wanted a quick kill on my way to a hunter meeting.

"It's not your fault, Ness." Jade said as she placed a hand on my knee. She sent me the friendliest smile I've ever seen from her and shook her head. How did she know what I was thinking?

"When you boil it down, it is. But anyways, there's more important things at foot here." I glanced back at the vampires. Elton and Aaron were standing opposite each other in defensive stances while Corey and Kevin did the same. Edward was clearly saying something or other to them that I couldn't hear and wasn't interested enough to hear. I'm just waiting until it's my turn. My eyes met a certain pair of blue ones and we exchanged smiles. "Have you noticed the guys getting kind of protective over me?" I asked the girls, turning my head back to them. Devyn and Kat exchanged a look.

"Um, yeah." Kat said with a strange look on her face. I couldn't quite make it out.

"It's because you're with Colby. They see you as part of us now. The clan, the family. All of it. Just like we are even though we're human." Devyn explained. She would occasionally pass glances at Corey.

"And they've never given up protecting their own." Tara added. She looked at me straight in the face for the first time since I'd gone over to sit with them. "Trust me, we'll all be perfectly safe as long as Colby loves you. And let's be realistic, he'll never stop." Before I could react to that, I heard the movement of a vampire approaching. I spun around into Cacciatrice.