~ Part 77 ~

It was pitch black outside by the time I'd decided to wake up. Unfortunately for me, Colby wasn't in bed with me or even in the room for that matter. I was alone and that was okay, I guess. Can't expect him to spend every moment of every day with me. Especially not when he's the leader of a really fucking big vampire clan. I pushed the covers off of me and climbed out of bed, going to the closet which had a few of my clothes in already at this point.  I pulled out a pair of jeans and a cropped shirt and quickly changed. Whatever's in store for today, it probably won't be a walk in the park. As I turned around to leave the room, I jumped and almost screamed at the sight of Colby in the doorway. "Fuck! Give me some warning, Jesus!" Colby sent me a wide grin and sped up to me, his hands resting on my hips.

"Turns out Edward's in need of that protection we haven't even promised him yet." My eyes trailed over his pale yet tanned face. How can he be both at the same time? Fuck you, that's how. He just is. Accept it.

"What's happened?" I asked curiously as I slipped closer, my hands resting on his chest.

"He turned up at midday with a few pieces of wood in his stomach. A rookie vampire tried to kill him. Apparently, the old ones are recruiting." Panic rushed through my veins.

"You mean Edward's here?!" My voice raised uncontrollably. Just the look on Colby's face told me the answer. I went to push past him but he didn't let me, wrapping his arms quickly around my waist and speeding out of the room. We stopped in the garage where everyone except for Cathy and Jade were. There, lying on the floor, was Edward. He looked drained and still in pain, the wood clearly splintering  all over his exposed stomach. His suit was covered in vampire blood now and parts of the fabric was torn. Mostly in fours like someone used their nails... or their claws.

"He's out cold and has been for hours." Sam said seriously. He was completely different to earlier. Not joking around anymore. Everyone knew how serious this was.

"We can't get the wood out of him without it causing a reaction." Elton motioned to the wood. "From both us and him." I glanced around the room, realising that the girls were nowhere to be seen. I hadn't even noticed before.

"Can I help?" I asked as I took a few steps toward the vampire on the floor. Colby's hand instinctively grabbed my arm. I turned to glare at him but was cut off by my tattoo burning. I knew it wasn't from Colby so... the others were alerted to the drive.

"Stay." Colby ordered me.