~ Part 56 ~

"Who else have you told of what you think is the truth. It's not, by the way." Jade bit her lip and backed up a little but Cathy was right there to stop her.

"E-E-"

"Eric?!" I exclaimed, my jaw dropping to the floor in shock. I couldn't stop staring at her now. Eric was a goody-two shoes who'd go straight to his parents about this whole thing! Then that'd go to my parents and...

"Vanessa! Thank god you're okay!" My mother rushed into my apartment and wrapped her arms around me. I could feel how worried she was. My father stepped in after her looking all business-like. He pushed my mother away from me and turned my head to the side, looking at Colby's bite mark. His face turned red with rage.

"Who did this? Who has compelled you to let them do this? Who's this Colby boy? How has this happened to you?" His questions poured out all at once and I didn't know how to answer them. I looked back at Jade, angrier than I'd ever felt.

"Colby is my boyfriend." I said casually, backing up from them. "Jade just thought he was a vampire but he's not." I gulped but tried to hide it. My tattoo started fluttering a tiny bit and I hoped to god that none of them could sense Colby right then. "Colby, do not come in. Stay away, please." I begged as quietly as possible.

"Then who bit you?!" My father barked at me. I thought of my answer quickly.

"This vampire I tried to kill recently. It was an old one and now there's a bunch coming after me." I said quickly, killing two birds with one stone. My father stared into my eyes, my mother doing the same. Jade scoffed.

"It wasn't. Colby bit you because he's a vampire and he's compelled you somehow." She said angrily, thinking she would win this fight. My tattoo fluttered insanely just before I heard Colby's angelic voice behind me.

"I'd never do that." I whipped around to see him on the balcony, completely human looking and staring only at me.

"Get out of here you monster." My father roared like a lion. He turned into a hunter right there and then and started moving quickly. I changed as well and got in front of him. Strangely, though, my stake didn't appear in my hand. I was just stronger.

"Do not touch him." I snapped, standing in front of the glass doors. Colby's eyes were still on me, I could feel them.

"Oh my god he HAS compelled you!" My mother exclaimed sounding distressed and worried for me. Nice gesture and all but not helpful.

"He hasn't compelled me." I rolled my eyes at how stupid they really were acting. "That's impossible and you all know it." Cathy rushed to my side and took my hand. She gave me a gentle smile.

"She's telling the truth. You would be able to tell if he'd compelled her because she'd be weaker. She's a hunter, remember?! When a vampire tries to compel us, we get weak for weeks upon weeks. Does she look weak at all? She didn't even meet him that long ago." My father's eyes could burn through me if I let them but I stood my ground.

"You're lying Cathy. They've got you too." Jade said confidently. She still thought she'd win this. Little did she know, I wouldn't let her.